Thread: live well pumps

live well pumps

I have a 91 Champion 190DC and the aer switch does nothing the Hydroair works in both positions and the timer doesn't do anything. Can someone please tell me how the system should work and what might be wrong with the aer control?

Thanks James

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Reggie....Can you help here? Hang on, James. Someone will be along....

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The Aer switch controls the pump that fills the livewell. It's located in the bilge area and the pickup is mounted through the step on the pad. The Hydro pump recirculates the water in the livewells. It is mounted on the back of the livewell and is accessed by removing a panel on the forward wall in the tank compartment. If the switches are also labeled Auto and Manual, the Auto will run through the timer and the Manual bypasses the timer. If your switches are just On/Off and you have a single timer control, it will control both pumps. It is marked in percent run time (Auto). The 100% or Fill position bypasses the timer (Manual), so if you can use that position to test the pumps. I would determine if the pumps run by selecting Manual or 100/Fill. You can use an automotive test light to check for voltage at the switches and control board. Orange wire should have 12v on it when the main Power switch is on. Black is ground and Brown are the wires running to the pumps. So make sure you have 12v coming in on Orange and going out on Brown. If you have that and the pump isn't running, your problem will be at the pump or the wiring between, although that's pretty rare.

Typical use is to fill the livewell desired level with the Aer then switch to the Hydro on one of the timed positions to recirculate the water. That way you can treat the water with chemical and ice if needed. The second method is to fill the livewell, then switch the Aer to one of the timed positions. This way, you're putting fresh water into the livewell and allowing excess to exit via the over flow hose out the back of the boat.

Hope that helps and is not too confusing.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 07-04-2020 at 09:27 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks that helps alot now I just need to find the aer pump to see if it is bad. I have voltage at the switch. I guess it will be under the Batteries.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yes, should be a T shaped cover between the halves and ahead of the tank.

6. Member
    thankk you