Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which LifePo batteries

Fellow Allison owners, I have an xb2003 with a warmed up 225 Super Magnum Mariner, and I have been using two 100 AH lead/acid batteries to start my motor and run my X5 Motorguide trolling motor. I am going to be 69 in October. My batteries are over four Years old and have held up well. They weigh 104 pounds combined. I seldom fish more than five hours, most of the time only two or three hours. I’d like to lighten up even more on the battery weight. I’d like some experienced opinions whether I can get by with two 50 AH LifePo trolling batteries and a lithium cranking battery, or if possible could I use two 100 AH batteries and crank with one and use both for the troller. The X5 pulls 56 amps when on high, but usually I have it down on three and rarely on 10. In Feb and March, I do fish some fairly swift water which requires that I turn up the troller. What is the best route to go and which brand would you suggest. I found a company named FuelZero that sells a good looking 12V 50AH battery for $339.00. Please give me your suggestions.
    Last edited by Gary Morgan; 07-01-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add content

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    If I'm understanding you correctly, the 2 12V batteries are hooked up "in series" (if I'm saying that correctly) so you can start your 225? YOu think you need to have 2 12V batteries hooked together to crank your 225? Your TM is 24V, right??

I don't know anything about LifePo brand batteries but I can speak from experience about Lithium Pros.

One 12V lithium cranking battery will crank that 225 all day long and 1 single 24V lithium battery will run that TM no problem at all!!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

You will want to separate batteries for cranking and starting. Especially with lithium's as they are expensive and the technology from most suppliers doesn't allow for cranking.

I personally run one 24V lithium. I can fish from sun up to sun down without draining it. It is only 50ah. So that could present a huge weight savings for you. Mine weights 27lbs. You could even add a second down the road if you don't feel its enough. For hours long you fish I would bet 1 covers your need.

For cranking you should be more than fine with one lithium cranking battery on your motor as Craig said. The selection for good cranking lithium batteries is a little narrower. NOt all 12 V lithium's are made for cranking. The specs are clear with all of them. Just pay attention to them. Remember these batteries are smart. The BMS (battery monitoring system) cannot handle starting if not designed for it. Look for BMS cutoff amps or peak discharge amps.

Lithium pro's made a battery and from my understanding can still (not on the website) that is used for a 24V trolling battery with an emergency 12v side for starting. Again, just for emergencies if you want some redundancy.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Personally, I would run a 100 amp + made for cranking and a 75 or 80 amp in series for the 24V. 100 amp usually around 30 lbs and 80 amp 25 lbs,for 55 lb total. I did the same for a 36v system.

I am running two 50ah Relions for my trolling motor and a Lead Acid for starting in my 2003. The two 50 ah ReLions are the same size together as a 31 series lead acid and weight like 15lbs each for a total of 30lbs for both. I have them side by side in a 31 series battery tray. I went with two 12 volt batteries instead of the 24 volt single so I could use my charger and wouldnt need to buy a 24 volt charger. 50 ah batteries for a troller are plenty you will not kill them in a fishing trip. I have a a Dual Pro sportsman series 3 bank charger. I sent it back to Dual Pro and they installed Relions charge profile on the 2 banks that I charge the Lithiums with. When I need a new starting Battery I will be installing a ReLion Starting Lithium. Let me know if you have any questions. I have been running this set up for almost 2 years now with no problems.

6. Member
    Ally fishing, my xb2003 came with two pairs of trolling motor cables running from rear to front and connected to a single Marinco four-prong plug in the front bow panel. 24 volts is not made until the front plug, so it isn’t the regular definition of series. If you connect both sets of cables, each set to a separate battery and then put a multi meter on the posts of one battery, it still reads 12 volts. This way if you connect your wiring harness for the motor to one battery, it is still cranking off 12 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Morgan View Post
    Ally fishing, my xb2003 came with two pairs of trolling motor cables running from rear to front and connected to a single Marinco four-prong plug in the front bow panel. 24 volts is not made until the front plug, so it isn’t the regular definition of series. If you connect both sets of cables, each set to a separate battery and then put a multi meter on the posts of one battery, it still reads 12 volts. This way if you connect your wiring harness for the motor to one battery, it is still cranking off 12 volts.
    I just used one positive and one negative cable to send 24 volt to the front.

8. Member
    Thank you, KDawg. Did you have to make any plug changes in the bow panel or on the trolling motor connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Morgan View Post
    Thank you, KDawg. Did you have to make any plug changes in the bow panel or on the trolling motor connection?
    No I just made sure the plug connected to the trolling motors pins lined up with the ones in the bow.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    I am still not a fan of cranking with Lithium. The batteries are too hot for some of the engine electronics.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    No I just made sure the plug connected to the trolling motors pins lined up with the ones in the bow.

Kdawg, are you certain of that? If 2 sets of pos and neg TM wires go to a receptacle they are wired differently than if it were just a single pair (which are jumped at the batteries to make 24V)?? Or am I not understanding the question?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

My old 2003 had two sets of wires...that way you could run a 12 volt or a 24 volt.. the old plug had a jumper inside to make the 24 which was bad to burn into.
    if you are using 24 volts ---run both sets of wires as one . figure out which two prongs are needed and wire both red and both black to the corresponding lug or change the plug out to a simpler type..
    much less resistance when running both sets of wires as one.

I ran a 125 ah lithium for a starter on my old 3.2 ltr 300XS with no issues.. After getting the new V8 and talking with Tim and many others I went with an AGM on the new rig.

13. Member
    Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your info. I guess this boat has been wired this way since 1998, and she keeps on working. She’s only had two owners.

14. Member
    Here's an article I wrote about my process to get to Lithiums (Ionic) https://www.m3outdoors.com/post/lith...orth-the-price

I'm currently running 3 50Ah and a dual purpose X2 group 27 cranking/electronics battery and this is more than enough power for a 12-14 hour practice trip or easily an 8 hour tournament. I did test a 24v set-up with 2 50Ah with my Ghost TM and was shocked that I couldn't run a 24v system down.
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

15. Member
    Mine had 2 pairs of wires to the front as well...

Now it has 2 for trolling and 2 for electronics!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Mine had 2 pairs of wires to the front as well...

Now it has 2 for trolling and 2 for electronics!
    Thats one way to get plenty of power to electronics.
    Did you pull one set and run it down the other side ?
    I've always heard to not run your electronics wire on the same side as trolling mtr..

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Thats one way to get plenty of power to electronics.
    Did you pull one set and run it down the other side ?
    I've always heard to not run your electronics wire on the same side as trolling mtr..
    Doubt they were moved from factory location... Powell wired it up as I requested and I said just to use the existing wires and jumped it at the batteries to get 24V. The other pair is wired directly to the house LP dual purpose battery. I have 1 other set running to that battery and the console electronics. I shouldn't have power issues for a good while...

Dan
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

18. Member
    I think that I am going to get two 50-AH LP batteries for the troller and use the SLA batteries I currently have to crank the big motor until they begin to really fall off.

19. Member
    Ordered them this morning; should be here by Wednesday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast