Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to Florida within the next couple months

My wife and I are moving to Florida from New Hampshire. We are looking at Brooksville Florida. I am an avid or above Bass fisherman, and have done tourneys up here in a few smaller clubs but not doing tourneys anymore. Would like to know if theres something similar to our "Clarks" book for ponds and lakes in New Hampshire but in Florida instead. Or anything that would give me some idea of local Lakes and ponds. I have an 18' Ranger Bassboat. My wifes bucket list is to fish Okeechobee, but would prob have a guide take us for that. Just looking for small to medium Lakes good for Bass fishing.

2. Member
    We're full.

Just kidding. From Brooksville you're about an hour from the Harris Chain and 40 ish minutes from Crystal River. Some locals can probably name off even closer places to bass fish. Don't know of any books but the FWC website is a pretty good resource for finding public fishing waters and what facilities are there. Good luck!

3. Member
    I am originally from New Hampshire as well. There is good fishing everywhere in Florida, both fresh and salt, from small bodies to the bigger named lakes/chains. Almost all of the bigger popular lakes have “fish camps” on them for very reasonable weekend getaways. Okeechobee is huge but has amazing fishing almost all year round. I Liked fishing and hunting it so much I bought a small camp on it!

4. Member
    look me up when you arrive

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

Check out the FWC website for a lot of info.

Then look at Google Earth........ There is a little of small water to fish in that area.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Banned
    There are quite a few around here from Keene, N.H. I'm up the road in Inverness but go to Brooksville for Dr. and Dentist. Look at Floral City Lake and Tsala Apopka will be closer than Harris, also Lake Deaton is a hidden gem and doesn't get the traffic as others..

there is also some lakes along 41 betwixt Inverness and Brooksville but that is when I open up the GTI™ and got a new High Speed of 131 up 18 mph from 8 weeks ago so I never really stop/slow down I'm in a hurry to get nowhere quicker

7. Member
    Another quick question. When you NH guys moved to Florida, did any of you guys ship your boat down as in like on a flatbed or ramp truck? I would like to ship mine down if possible, not haul it down. Don't want any potential problems with tires or bearings. They are fine for up here but not sure for a long haul to Florida. Could or may have a local shop put in new bearings and buy 2 new Goodyear Endurance tires, if it comes down to that. Might be the cheaper way out. If anyone has shipped a boat from NH to florida, who did you use and what was the cost? Thanks guys.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    There are quite a few around here from Keene, N.H. I'm up the road in Inverness but go to Brooksville for Dr. and Dentist. Look at Floral City Lake and Tsala Apopka will be closer than Harris, also Lake Deaton is a hidden gem and doesn't get the traffic as others..
    Figured you'd be a Villages kind of guy!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Another quick question. When you NH guys moved to Florida, did any of you guys ship your boat down as in like on a flatbed or ramp truck? I would like to ship mine down if possible, not haul it down. Don't want any potential problems with tires or bearings. They are fine for up here but not sure for a long haul to Florida. Could or may have a local shop put in new bearings and buy 2 new Goodyear Endurance tires, if it comes down to that. Might be the cheaper way out. If anyone has shipped a boat from NH to florida, who did you use and what was the cost? Thanks guys.

I'll sell You my Ranger™ and throw in the waterfront house although the boathouse will need to be redone in a couple years... on Lake Henderson in Inverness

10. Banned
    I'll be headed to TheVillages™ ...

11. Banned
    Just read an article where the state of Florida is going to have to put in support brackets/beams under the lime stone ( for y'all yankees that's what's under Florida ) to support all the extra bullshit moving down here from up north! Its kind of like leveling a house once its settled but this is for nearly the entire state. The cause was listed as "overpopulitus". Currently looking for a vaccination but having no luck so far.

12. Member
    Not really sure how to take what Manatee Mauler is saying.

13. Member
    . That’s his way of welcoming FL newcomers who, one by one, he considers them to be ruining his way of life. He remembers when Florida was not the 3rd most populous state in America.

14. Member
    He's a national treasure. I've personally petitioned Gov. DeSantis to make him acting chief over Visit Florida.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    . That’s his way of welcoming FL newcomers who, one by one, he considers them to be ruining his way of life. He remembers when Florida was not the 3rd most populous state in America.
    Honestly, I can't disagree with anything MM says. I remember Fla a place that was uncrowded with clean water, lots of open spaces to ride dirt bikes, hunt, fish...the list goes on. Thoughs days are long gone. SW Fla is in real trouble although many don't realize it yet. Already to may people here for the infrastructure we have and more LARGE home building communities are being built as I type this. Charlotte Harbor is in great danger. Mosaic has been buying land as far back as the 50's so they can mine gypsum. They have been trying to obtain permits to do so and fortunately have been turned down, however they are on the brink of getting permits. When that happens you can kiss Charlotte harbor goodbye. The first spill will kill everything in the harbor for years to come. There were spills elsewhere in Fla by Mosaic in the 70's that have still not fully recovered.

The OP mentioned Brooksville. I "fled" SWF and live about an hour away from Brooksville. It's not a bad little town but that entire area is front and center for the next "influx". It's already well underway. That area is getting double hit because people are getting out of SWF as well as South East Florida plus people from the north. Within 5 to 10 years it will be over run like other areas of the state. Fla is extending 589 and that is only going to bring more people into the area.

Now, I'm not saying don't come, but Fla is not the place it used to be and never will be again. Crowds and traffic are here to stay. I 75 is an absolute death ride so be careful.

16. Banned
    And the aforementioned TheVillages™ are building the West side of the Turdpike...

Brooksville is a whole bunch busier and the traffic blows, maybe look at Levy County for lower numbers..

Too bad You already have a 18' Ranger™ I was going to offer 2012 Ranger™ Z-118 and waterfront house w/boathouse ... all for under $175k

17. Member
    Getting ready to retire from the bass fishing. Have a home in Zephyrhills, FL (approx 45 minutes from Brooksville), in a 55+ community. Lots of extras with an extended garage (25ft) for a Triton 196 (19.5). Less than an hour from Lake Wales, can be in Clewiston or Okeechobee City within 3 hrs drive. Wanting to sell this so we can relocate. If interested please let me know I can send photos. Email tstan64@yahoo.com

Better refit your boat with a high power trolling motor and a good weed prop. The grass is terrible in florida. For years i thought i really wanted to bass fish florida lakes. After a few trips dealing with thick hydrilla, i couldnt wait to get back to SC and NC lakes. Wore me out constantly having to pull up the motor and get grass off of it. The MG aluminum prop with sharpened edges works great, but not sure its still available.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

19. Member
    Hydrilla and grass are no longer a problem in Fl.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Hydrilla and grass are no longer a problem in Fl.
    Unfortunately this is a true statement. They were replaced with muck and dirty/polluted water
    Brad Krone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast