2017 250 SHO Won’t ‘Go’...Help Me Diagnose the Problem

OK, my boat is sitting on the boat lift after having a major malfunction this morning. Cruising down the lake in 40 feet of water at about 45mph the boat suddenly lurched to a stop. The engine was running but the boat shut down as if I had blown the motor. Turns out the prop wouldn’t spin and would sit there as if in neutral despite giving it the throttle. Won’t go in F or R. Initially, I figured I had spun the hub, but now think my transmission gearing took a dump since the hub kit was so firmly seated in the prop once I got back to the dock and took it off (have a 8hp kicker that got me home). Heck, I couldn’t even pound it out to replace it. Plus, the one and only time I actually spun a hub before the motor would go into both F and R, but just not very fast.

Am I as screwed as I think??

2. Member
    Sounds like the lower unit seized up

3. Member
    From your description I don't understand what the motor is actually doing. Are you saying the motor runs fine but will not spin the prop when you were in forward or reverse or is everything completely locked up and will not move

4. Member
    The engine runs but the prop won’t spin. :(

5. Member
    Pull lower drain plug see if any oil ??????

6. Member
    Gears seized. Needs a new lower unit. Got one on order. $4800. Parts back ordered due to COVID shutdown. Let’s hope Yamaha comes through quickly.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Not rebuildable?

8. Member
    Apparently not rebuildable.

9. Member
    Update: Before sending a new lower unit, Yamaha wanted my mechanic to tear down the failed lower unit, send a download from the engine computer, and send pictures of the lower unit inside and out...just to be sure I didn’t hit something. I was there when my mechanic took it apart. Turns out the drive shaft broke in half...not on the thin end up in the motor but in the thick part down in the lower unit. The bearings were damaged as well as the housing. It was ugly and smelly (lower unit oil burned?)...kinda like us fishermen. Fortunately, Yamaha agreed to cover the replacement under my 6 year warranty. Just waiting on parts to come in now. Hopefully, the ordeal will be over n a couple weeks.

10. Member
    Final Update: The new lower unit was installed yesterday...a 5+ week wait thanks to covid supply chain disruption. At least Yamaha made good on the warranty. All is well again.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    Final Update: The new lower unit was installed yesterday...a 5+ week wait thanks to covid supply chain disruption. At least Yamaha made good on the warranty. All is well again.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step