Thread: Evinrude demise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    BRP crapped on their dealers when they shutdown Evinrude. They gave no notice till it was announced and the dealers are having to figure things out. After OMC and now this debacle, I don't know how much Evinrude is worth in the consumers and dealers eyes.
    This.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    When they made the announcement, I remember their press release saying they were developing other means of propulsion and going down an altogether new path.
    So to me, yeah they’ll be back.

As far as the question from the OP, the G2 was a great 2-stroke. But the industry is done with 2-stroke outboards. In hindsight, when the G2 came out, I would think the new Merc V8 4 strokes were in the testing phase of development. Surely BRP knew and were watching the outcome. Mercury not only hit a home run, but in my opinion a grand slam. This is just my opinion, but I think the same outcome would have taken place without the covid pandemic.

My next bass rig is gonna have a Mercury V8. Absolutely no question about it.
    The industry may be done with 2 strokes but it wasn’t because of the number of strokes. I promise you if Mercury came out with a 7 stroke (I realize that doesn’t exist) and it was better on mileage, had more power, was faster and was more reliable, you guys would all throw rocks at your 4 strokes. I don’t care if there’s a magic unicorn under the cowling, as long as it works.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Tico
    BRP crapped on their dealers when they shutdown Evinrude. They gave no notice till it was announced and the dealers are having to figure things out. After OMC and now this debacle, I don't know how much Evinrude is worth in the consumers and dealers eyes.

4. #FRB
    I thought when this started I'd be getting away from it all peacefully fishing, 80% of the time there are more people weekdays than weekends.
    That's no lie! This has made me change the way I fish and have been choosing the windiest days I can to go fishing because of it. Have had my best year ever though
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

If they were planning on coming back soon why would they let all their employees go.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    If they were planning on coming back soon why would they let all their employees go.
    I think they are dead and gone. But it has zero to do with the actual product and less than zero to do with the number of strokes.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

7. Member
    mabe the new technology was a paddle it would work better than their vro an e tech

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    I remember when the OMC trolling motor (at the time, arguably the best trolling motor on the market) was discontinued, someone on the old BFHP contacted them about buying the rights to the design. They refused to sell the rights, which made no sense if they weren’t going back into the trolling motor market.
    I don't remember the part about someone on the BFHP wanting to buy the rights to the TM. But, I was the one who contacted the marketing rep at Bombardier and asked if they owned the patent to the old OMC TM. Then, I posted the marketing guy's email and within a few days he had received over 300 emails asking Bombardier to bring back the OMC TM. The marketing guy thought that we were spamming him and posted a blistering thread on the BFHP. I apologized to him and then he read the replies to his thread and finally realized that we were all very serious about wanting them to bring back the old OMC TM. He promised to bring it up at the next corporate meeting. That's the last time we ever heard a thing about it.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 07-02-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the patent have run out on that motor a long time ago?

10. Member
    It doesn't matter how good of a product they come out with in the future, lack of consumer confidence will likely cause them struggles. They will have to go after a different crowd other than bass fishermen. I've tried to trade my boat in at a couple dealerships and they won't even give me a low ball offer because of the G1 on it. If you have dealers that got burnt by Evinrude when they closed, dealers that won't deal on a boat with a rude, and consumers that still remember the Ficht debacle, things won't go well for them.

11. Member
    I thought when this started I'd be getting away from it all peacefully fishing, 80% of the time there are more people weekdays than weekends.
    same here. I want my lake back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I'm the opposite...they had to shed weight somewhere......to get a 4.6 litre 4 stroke motor down to the weight of a 3. 4 litre engine They had to do some serious weight loss......what will be the deciding factor in your eyes in a catastrophic failure....rebuild the 2 stroke or buy a whole new block for the 4 stroke...?
    Uh, the proxs is basically a 7 cylinder, so gaining one more whole (v8) and adding cam shaft sand chains, but building it with there new block material if that saved 15 pounds it would be a wash, no scary thoughts from me
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12