Nitro 700lx opinions / experiences ?

I'm looking at a pristine 2004 model 700lx. Price is right and the boat is like new. It has a 90hp Tracker engine (Merc). Still has the original aluminum prop and there isn't a mark on it.

Question is ....... Is there anything that I need to know about these hulls? Anything that was specific to them that caused problems?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

2. Member
    Good little boats. Was my first glass boat and had a lot of fun with it. Main thing I would check would be the transom. Trim the motor about 1/4 way up and lean on the cavitation plate. You are looking for flex in the transom. You'll also want to have the motor checked out given that it has sat for awhile. Not running an engine for long periods of time can be bad. If you can, take it to a trusted marine mechanic and have them check it out really well (including running the engine). Lastly, make sure you test the boat in the water and actually run it with a load on the engine. I've seen engines run fine on muffs but then fall flat on their face once in the water with a load on them. Good luck with the potential purchase!

Like Waldo...my first fiberglass boat was a '97 700LX DC. It had the 120HP Force on it. Great boat, rode well, and got on plane quickly. I also suggest an on the water test. Those older 90HP motors were fickle beasts when cold or not being run in some time.

One thing to look at...check the bilge area for the pumps, livewells, etc. to be in working order no leaks. I've read a few online things about these having issues. When I bought mine, it was all replaced like new.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

4. Member
    I have a 99 700LX. Bought it three years ago used and it was in great condition. The hull rides a little rough as there isn't much of a V even for a bass boat, but it's a great little boat. Other than that it seems like it can take a solid beating. My only concern with the one you're looking at is the 90 HP motor. I have a 125 merc and it goes 50 WOT and gets on plane in no time. With an extra person and full livewell it takes a little more, so with a 90 it might be a little tougher to get on plane with another person. Just my thoughts. Otherwise a great boat. Been fishing 3 times a week for 3 years in mine. No issues for me with livewells, pumps or hoses.

5. Member
    Weighing back in here. I had a 2001 with a 75hp Merc. Don't be scared of the 90hp motor. As long as the motor is sound that boat will still run. I had a 23 pitch Powertech stainless prop on mine and could hit 46 by myself with a light load. Would run 43-44 tourney loaded with a partner. She did take a bit longer to get out of the hole once the livewells were full but not too bad.

Thanks for the information folks. It is greatly appreciated.

Going to pick up the boat this afternoon. It is absolutely pristine except for the rub rail on the nose where it looks like it sat against a dock or something. They have used the boat regularly so it hasn't been sitting.

This is the shortest boat I have ever owned, and coming from a 20' Norris Craft the transition might be a bit uncomfortable for a little while.

Now I have to figure out what prop to replace the factory POS aluminum thing with.