Boat trailer winch ground connection at battery

A question for the tech guys.

This is a 2020 1500 Silverado

Is there any additional parts available for a high amp ground connection at the battery for a winch?

Running some 6 ga wire from the battery to the bed of the truck for a boat trailer winch connection with a 80 amp fuse at the battery

The positive connection(1st pic) seems pretty straight forward with a lug under the 5/16" bolt at the post with a short( 6-8") cable to an fuse holder and then to the rear of the truc

The neg connection is somewhat of question.

The 5/16" clamp bolt (#2) has a captive nut with upturned ears on the bracket and does not look like a lug can fit under it.

The second bolt (#1) is only a 1/4" and seems a little weak as a connection point

Actually the whole ground bracket seems really flimsy and weak.

Another possibility is the ground stud (#3) that recommended for jumping the vehicle.

Last question is the #4 connection. What is it? Current sensing?

Suggestions for a correct/good ground connection would be greatly appreciated.

Click pic for larger view.

Thanks

20200629_192336II.jpg

20200629_192452II.jpg

20200629_193041II.jpg

Yes, #4 is a current sensor.

I would ground under the truck in the rear such as a trailer hitch bolt, short run of wire and using the frame of the truck to carry the current.

If the wires are molded together or just your preference to run wire to the battery, I would use the battery hold down bolt next to the ground stud #3, it is larger.

IDK what trailer connector you have on your boat, but you could also use the AUX power and ground that is in the 7-way trailer connector and not have to run wiring to the battery.

3. Member
    My 2015 also has a ground stud on the engine block which is meant to be used for jump starting. Wouldn't that be an option if your's has one?

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Axel nut

Came out of an 05 2500 and everything was built like a truck.

Possible dual batteries, power tap blocks and ground blocks.

This truck is more car like and that is why I would be more comfortable running the ground to the battery.

Just not sure if the frame grounds can handle the loads, especially with all the electronics on this truck.

I had thought about the battery hold down bolt as a possibility.

The winch uses a 80A fuse as the 7 pin plug power is rated to 30A.

I threw this out there hoping someone has powered up a winch already on one of these new T1 platforms or maybe a GM tech might chime in.

The mechanic and service writer were standing around the dealership like a couple of guys on a driveway hashing out a possible solution. LOL

kojimep

This truck has the jumper ground post on the fender and a red slide hatch on the battery cover that reveals a positive jump lug as per the manual.

Actual a nice feature.

I will look again but did not see alternate connections like before.

I swear they build these vehicles more like a Grocery Getter rather than for the guys who uses a truck like a truck.

Maybe I should pop the hood on a few 2500s at the dealer to check the connections.

20200701_162324II.jpg

5. Member
    Keep your ground as close to the winch as possible. Closer your ground to the winch, the less demand there is and heat build up. In the am/fm radio business, we always ground as close to the module using power.

6. Member
    Keep your ground as close to the winch as possible. Closer your ground to the winch, the less demand there is and heat build up. In the am/fm radio business, we always ground as close to the module using power.
    Rich1 thanks

My old school brain was thinking along those same lines but as I stated before, I am gun shy of the frame grounds on this platform messing with all these fancy electronics.

Always had 3/4T trucks, but was looking for a little smoother ride for the old kidneys the old this time around. LOL

I am now thinking of doing both a frame ground at the rear and a battery ground connection unless told otherwise by someone far wiser than this garage mechanic.

Thanks

7. Member
    yes a frame ground near the rear is best, be prepared to remove ALL the frame wax, then spray protectant back over the connection

I have not wired up one of these winches, but I am a GM tech, have been for the last 20 years.

The frame will be more that enough to carry the ground.

If I was closer I'd come help you, but think I'll stay in AL for now.

9. Member
    yes a frame ground near the rear is best, be prepared to remove ALL the frame wax, then spray protectant back over the connection
    Yep
    Already have a few cans of that Daubert X-121B wax spray on hand.

Axlenut
    I have not wired up one of these winches, but I am a GM tech, have been for the last 20 years.

The frame will be more that enough to carry the ground.

If I was closer I'd come help you, but think I'll stay in AL for now.

Thanks for the offer of help but I'm good with the A/C on in the garage.

Figured you were a wrench when you responded about the current sensor.

Thanks for all the input guys and will post the results in the next few weeks when completed.

Hope you and the families have a good 4TH of July