Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    I am conservative, but think that the extra $600 might be "sort of" ok. Unemployment is now at record highs. Millions would be devastated without the extra $$ and the economy would likely tank. So, a TEMPORARY uplift might have dodged a really big hit. Yes, a number of people got more on unemployment than they might have made working. That is set to end this month. My concern is that the payment might not be so temporary.

Everybody is arguing over the extra $600 and we really do not know where the rest of the stimulus went.....

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    I am conservative, but think that the extra $600 might be "sort of" ok. Unemployment is now at record highs. Millions would be devastated without the extra $$ and the economy would likely tank. So, a TEMPORARY uplift might have dodged a really big hit. Yes, a number of people got more on unemployment than they might have made working. That is set to end this month. My concern is that the payment might not be so temporary.

Everybody is arguing over the extra $600 and we really do not know where the rest of the stimulus went.....
    Exactly. ^^^

Dale Sinclair original

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post

IMO the $600 is a lure to keep people from working and get more people on the government payroll. None of the additional funds should have happened. Even when COVID hit there were still lots of places hiring.

4. Dogfish_Jones
    I do know it has been hard, very hard for smaller companies to hire people back because of the money they are getting from unemployment. Two Waffle Houses are yet to open because they cannot find enough people to hire to work.
    A plastic molding company has been hoping for people to hire but what the owner said most people who apply are asking for $30 or more per hour. He said when he had to lay off because of the virus he average wage he was paying was $16.50 an hour. Which here in Alabama is very good.
    Right now he say's he can not compete with unemployment pay.

5. Member
    Just read that for round two of the stimulus a certain person\people want the vote buying money to be bigly increased, way more than the other side was wanting. Thats not sounding very fiscally conservative?

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Just read that for round two of the stimulus a certain person\people want the vote buying money to be bigly increased, way more than the other side was wanting. Thats not sounding very fiscally conservative?
    You won't make many friends here with that talk. Even if it's true. Wife and I have lost no income due to this pandemic and have suffered no hardships but we got a full check and will gladly cash another. Make it rain

Dale Sinclair original

Interesting huh

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I do know it has been hard, very hard for smaller companies to hire people back because of the money they are getting from unemployment. Two Waffle Houses are yet to open because they cannot find enough people to hire to work.
    A plastic molding company has been hoping for people to hire but what the owner said most people who apply are asking for $30 or more per hour. He said when he had to lay off because of the virus he average wage he was paying was $16.50 an hour. Which here in Alabama is very good.
    Right now he say's he can not compete with unemployment pay.

And there lies another problem. If offered a job and you turn it down you should lose the unemployment. Work or sit at home and get nothing.

I've never drawn employment my entire life. There is always a job out there, you just have to look for them.

Is that what they called it outright in the bill, “Vote Buying Money”?

10. Member
    I just wish they would give the people a little something that worked through all of this stuff. LOL My wife and i both have not missed a pay check the entire time, and now where i work if things turn south at the end of July there talking about possible layoffs works us getting everything ready then possible layoffs Dang..oh well im still working for now crazy times we live in for sure!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    You won't make many friends here with that talk. Even if it's true. Wife and I have lost no income due to this pandemic and have suffered no hardships but we got a full check and will gladly cash another. Make it rain
    Telling the truth can hurt your popularity here thats for sure but it could be worse. I could be a huge corporation on gaverment assistance while sitting on billions in the bank. Truth be told all this "vote buying" is going to be paid for with a huge tax rate increase on the middle class. I cant remember for sure but I think it was lest than 15% of the stimulus money went to individuals. Who got the rest where did that go?

Quote Originally Posted by mixermark View Post
    I’ll never be a fiscal conservative, I’m as liberal as they come. The truth is though, we need both bleeding heart liberals and fiscal conservatives, who are willing to listen to each other, and hammer out how to spend our money wisely. It should be a bloody debate to a compromise where neither side gets everything they want.
    As a conservative I completely agree with you.

13. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Telling the truth can hurt your popularity here thats for sure but it could be worse. I could be a huge corporation on gaverment assistance while sitting on billions in the bank. Truth be told all this "vote buying" is going to be paid for with a huge tax rate increase on the middle class. I cant remember for sure but I think it was lest than 15% of the stimulus money went to individuals. Who got the rest where did that go?
    Agree

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney P View Post
    As a conservative I completely agree with you.
    That’s a trap.

Example:

You owe me a million dollars, I want to buy a house and a Ferrari.

Are you ready to compromise and hammer out how to spend our money?

15. Banned
    Im tired of working my azz off and paying out the wazoo in taxes so other people can argue about how to spend my money (or how much more they should confiscate every week).

16. Banned
    Wonder how many of the people that took the extra unemployment are going to be screaming at tax time?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Wonder how many of the people that took the extra unemployment are going to be screaming at tax time?
    tax time doesn’t really matter when you have bills to pay now.

18. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    Im tired of working my azz off and paying out the wazoo in taxes so other people can argue about how to spend my money (or how much more they should confiscate every week).
    If I paid over 40k in taxes last year. You think it is alright for me to get the $600 a week to go along with the $180 a week the self employed out of work because of the pandemic are getting?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

19. Banned
    No more unemployment. People are out there working risking it all. But some people just want to stay on unemployment. It's not right for those that have to work. I mean we have malls open and water parks open. If they can be open no more fed unemployment!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    If I paid over 40k in taxes last year. You think it is alright for me to get the $600 a week to go along with the $180 a week the self employed out of work because of the pandemic are getting?
    If you had not been extorted for $40k last year, you could have saved that money and had $40k to get you through an unemployment period (so you wouldn't need $600/wk).

Would you rather have (your own) $40k/yr or $600/wk for 4 months?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast