Thread: Erie?

Erie?

Are Canadian waters off limits with the covid regulations? Would like to go to Pelee

There was a tournament up there recently and they were only aloud to fish Ohio waters so it's possible. Well since I posted this I went to verify on there website but it says the tourny was cancelled.

3. Member
    Correct, you are currently not allowed into Canadian waters.

No to Canadian waters.

5. Member
    No crossing the Canada boarder till who knows when.

6. Banned
    Educate me... I've never traveled that far out... So the border patrols have boats, planes and helicopters up and about looking for violators???... Dan

7. Member
    I can tell you first hand there are no boats, planes and helicopters patrolling the border, at least where we were on the northern Michigan- Canadian border.
    Last edited by 1GThompson; 07-04-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added word

8. Member
    Little advice, I wouldn't chance it if that's what folks are contemplating. I've been checked 2 or 3 times and I can tell you I never saw them coming until the last minute. Penalties can be pretty stiff, including impounding your boat. Not being ale to fish Canadian water due to covid is just another over reaction, but that's out of our hands. When things are back to normal, the proper way to fish Canadian waters is to call border patrol and let them know your plans. They will ask you a bunch of questions and log you into their system. After the first time, it goes much faster since they have all your boat and personal info on file.

9. Banned
    Thanks... Good to know... Dan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Educate me... I've never traveled that far out... So the border patrols have boats, planes and helicopters up and about looking for violators???... Dan
    I know in northern Minnesota on lake of the woods they patrol the boarder and look for people crossing the imaginary line, fines are steep and they make sure the experience is one you won’t forget...
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

11. Member
    I feel I should clarify my earlier post.. I was merely relating our experience that where we were fishing (Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior) there was no border patrol. However, there also were no other fisherman. I could see where areas like Lake of the Woods and Pelee Island that are far more popular might be patrolled more heavily. I am not encouraging fishing in Canada.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    And in the Pelee area, they can watch you from land within a radius of several miles. Being on a popular pleasure boat route between the U.S. and Canada, border patrol and customs from both sides keep a fairly close eye.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

13. Member
    The boarder is closed folks. Not just for fishing. If they catch you it is a minimum $1000 dollar fine and they turn you over to the US authorities and they deal with you with a mandatory 14 day quarantine and fine.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    The boarder is closed folks. Not just for fishing. If they catch you it is a minimum $1000 dollar fine and they turn you over to the US authorities and they deal with you with a mandatory 14 day quarantine and fine.
    huh, I have heard from numerous people that they only got a warning and were told to head back. This was the case as of last week anyways.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    huh, I have heard from numerous people that they only got a warning and were told to head back. This was the case as of last week anyways.
    I think this is 90% what would happen.....I sure wouldn't want to be one of the 10% that came across someone having a bad day though. You are talking about entering another Country that has closed its borders. Not worth it for me.