ISO Prop Shop/VMAX Lower Unit repair

Recently hit something submerged running about 40mph with a VMAX 250, no damage to boat or prop just lost a chunk of the skeg. Circled back and was unable to locate anything in my path, and water depth was around 40-45ft. Anyone have a recommendation for a shop between the Brunswick-Georgia to Jacksonville-FL area? Looking to either weld replacement material or at least ground smooth and painted. I've searched the forum and saw both options seem to be a 50/50 split on either. Boat is tracking fine and not blowing out in high speed turns, but I can't stand to see it. Doesn't sound like my usual service shop does any sort of repairs like this other than replacing the entire housing ($1400ish just for parts) so a weld or ground smooth option would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Got insurance? Just a thought.

3. Member
    Yeah I guess that's a possibility, but I hate to make a claim for what seems like a minor issue. If the impact had been more substantial I would be all over the insurance for sure, but we barely felt it and doesn't appear to have caused any other damage.

4. Member
    DIY.....JB Weld and paint.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missile Pilot View Post
    ...but I hate to make a claim for what seems like a minor issue. If the impact had been more substantial I would be all over the insurance for sure, but we barely felt it and doesn't appear to have caused any other damage.
    A hit hard enough to take off that much skeg in my opinion isn't minor and if you also have prop damage, you could have seal damage and/or a bent prop shaft. Just my 2¢.