Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6 sec beep error optimax 225

Hi to all,

I have a 2002 Optimax 225cv serial n°0T589256
    Ran great last time out. no start this time. Battery is good and is charged, I do not get a system check when key is turned on, however, after 15 seconds I get a 6 second beep and the fuel pump comes on, beep quits so does fuel pump, 1 sec stop and again.
    Put a remote wiring harness to fix possible kill switch issue.
    Try another ecu, same error.
    Fuel/air pressure OK
    Any idea?
    Last edited by Regi226; 06-30-2020 at 10:11 PM.

2. Member
    Test Main Power Relay.

3. Member
    Check. I try with another one. Same error.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Verify battery cables are correctly connected. Load test battery and confirm it EXCEEDS 945 CCA.

Check cable connections at the ENGINE end (as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Cables and connections OK.
    Fully charged battery.
    Same error.

6. Member
    What is the fault code?

The fuel pumps should come on immediately, so you have a wiring issue that we can't find for you, since we are not at the boat with a DVOM. To fix the problem electrical test must be made at different points in the harness, with a DVOM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Suggest getting a Factory Service Manual and working through the Key-Switched power circuit methodically until the problem is found.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Impossible to know the fault code. We've try to connect DDT, but it doesn't recognize the outboard. Seems like ECU come directly in "security". DDT are OK cause we connect it with another outboard and all perfect, and we use it on my outboard month ago without problem. I have the Factory Manual Service and test many wires and sensor, but for the moment I can't find nothing wrong.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you checked the diagnostic circuit fuse (usually 3 amp)?

What DDT cartridge are you using?

10. Member
    You need to get a newer and better scan tool.

11. Member
    Where are these fuse? The only diag fuse are for the smartcraft and it's 15A.
    I don't know exactly the version cause DDT is not mine. I can ask to my friend. We use it month ago and work perfectly.
    Savage : I would like to try with a newer one, but I live in a small ils ad in French Polynesia, and we don't have nothing here.

12. Member
    Rinda Diacom scanner is around $600 US.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or their Diacom Software.

14. Member
    For sure, good solution, but for the moment with the Covid, there's no plane between USA and Polynesia. So we can't buy nothing.
    Did you know the input voltage for the CPS?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    5V sensor but DO NOT probe into the harness or connect voltmeters directly into harness at this point (as there is the potential of damaging the PCM).

16. Member
    OK. I test with multimeter, not with megohmeter, only to know input voltage, and I have only 2,71v. Any idea about the problem?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    From where and TO where are you testing? Again- NO probing of the engine harness at this point should be done with a Voltmeter.

18. Member
    From the ECU to the CPS.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not a suitable test or method. If the CPS failed the resistance test, replace it.

20. Member
    321 ohms test, so good cps.
    Have to search again...
    I check all continuity in the harness, all sensors and values are in the range.
    What else?
    Last edited by Regi226; 07-07-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast