2018 Mercury 115 Pro XS // 3 & 6 beeps (overheating)

<2B553662>

Hi !

I took out my 2018 Mercury 115 Pro XS for the first time this season about 2 weeks ago. After about 15 minutes half speed the motor drastically reduced rpm and made 3 beeps. I put it to neutral for 5 seconds and then was able to resume my day.... the next day the exact same thing happened...

Now 2 weeks after, i spend most of my day on the lake, used the motor for about 1-2 hours at various speed... did some trolling with the motor for 30 minutes and on my way to the ramp same thing happened but with 6 beeps and reduced RPM remained... only able to run at idle speed...

I took it at the dealership and they plugged it on the computer. The computer registered 6 times overheating but they say everything seems normal. They told me to try again and bring it back if it does it again.

does anyone have any input they can provided?

thanks
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.

2. Member
    Could be a lot of things. You could have a bad water pump, thermostat, trash in cooling system, faulty temp sensor.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements located at the very top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Did they happen to give you Printouts of the RUN HISTORY and the FREEZE FRAME (Fault) History?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Hi !

Thank you for your reply and I will make sure to add my serial number as soon as I am back at my boat.

I went for another test run and within minutes I did get the 3 beeps twice and I started looking for symptoms. Is the water jet flow from the water pump should be the same or very similar on idle and half speed ?

Idle the water pump jet is full and normal then I go from idle to half speed and then the water jet is definitely having some pressure issue as it is reduced and unable to keep a constant flow. It seems like it is choking but is this normal at half or top speed ?

If you guys are saying the water pump jet should be the same idle or top speed then I guess this is the issue.

thanks again

5. Member
    Here is some additional information as requested.

serial: 8M0113383
    model: pro xs 115 2.0 4 stroke

for testing purposes I removed the t-stat and I experienced the same behaviour. On idle the return water jet seems normal but at half speed and above the water return jet is randomly choking and when this happens within about 30 seconds I will get an alarm.

are we looking more at an issue with the water pump ?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpykeYs View Post
    Here is some additional information as requested.

serial: 8M0113383
    model: pro xs 115 2.0 4 stroke

for testing purposes I removed the t-stat and I experienced the same behaviour. On idle the return water jet seems normal but at half speed and above the water return jet is randomly choking and when this happens within about 30 seconds I will get an alarm.

are we looking more at an issue with the water pump ?
    Actually I think I provided a part number above... My serial number is 2B553662.

FYI - I also took out the strainer and no issue there. The strainer is all clean no debris and I was able to blow air no issue. I also blew air in the pisser hose and no debris there.

If my motor runs idle the pisser works fine but if I go half or full speed, sometimes it takes 2 minute sometimes 15... but at some point the pisser will start choking and water jet will be reduced and when this happens, within 30 secs or so the motor will reduce RPM and start beeping.

Thanks again !
    Last edited by SpykeYs; 07-06-2020 at 10:12 AM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Still REALLY need to get this engine on the Computer Diagnostic System for PRINTOUTS of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

ANYTIME you experience Cooling System or Overheating problems you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS start At the SOURCE: The Water Pump.

Replace (at a minimum) the Impeller and BOTH gaskets, verify that there is no debris lodged between the water inlets and the impeller plate.

Don't attempt to run the engine without a thermostat- doing so will alter water pressure and flow pathways, potentially resulting in serious (or even catastrophic) damage to the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor