Traveling with cover

I'm driving from NC to Ohio this weekend. Should I travel with the Ranger cover on or off on a long trip like that? Leaving it on protects it but does it rub even if tight? Thoughts?
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

2. Member
    Put it on.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

3. Member
    My 2 cents leave it on. If I'm going anywhere an hour plus I travel with mine. I've traveled miles and never had mine rub at all. Just bought a new cover this winter and it doesn't rub at all either. My motor cover actually rubs a little but not boat cover.

4. Member
    My opinion, I would put it on as well. I know they say you waste more gas traveling with it on but I believe it is worth it.

5. Member
    Same here. One rock in the gel coat or if you don't remove your graphs and get it whacked by a rock will tell you to travel with a cover. Takes 10 minutes to put it on.

6. Member
    If you are concerned about rubbing, two to three wraps of shrink wrap will help.

Thanks, to all of you. I'm going to put the cover on for the trip.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

8. Member
    I always travel with my cover on. If it rains, it keeps a lot of grime out of the interior. Just remember, tight is right. Make sure you can play a tune on it.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I always travel with my cover on. If it rains, it keeps a lot of grime out of the interior. Just remember, tight is right. Make sure you can play a tune on it.
    Will do. Thanks.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

Put a folded towel over the TM, Windshields, Graphs or anything else that may cut the cover. AND, yes, tight is right !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Put a folded towel over the TM, Windshields, Graphs or anything else that may cut the cover. AND, yes, tight is right !!
    ^^^^^ THis.

I do cover my troller w/ a towel, My Walk Through windshield is nice and smooth and rounded, so it doesn't tend to cut, nor does the cover move there due to the belly strap, so it stays really good and hasn't marred the finish.

The other thing I should mention I do is to put a half turn in the belly strap at segment (each place it contacts the hull, I call a segment)..so from cover down to turn under the boat, there is a half turn in the stap, then from the hull contact to center under trailer, another half turn, same on other side of boat.

This keeps the strap from vibrating in the wind as you go down the highway.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    If you are concerned about rubbing, two to three wraps of shrink wrap will help.
    "This" Lowes carries a small roll with a handle that works great.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    ^^^^^ THis.

I do cover my troller w/ a towel, My Walk Through windshield is nice and smooth and rounded, so it doesn't tend to cut, nor does the cover move there due to the belly strap, so it stays really good and hasn't marred the finish.

The other thing I should mention I do is to put a half turn in the belly strap at segment (each place it contacts the hull, I call a segment)..so from cover down to turn under the boat, there is a half turn in the stap, then from the hull contact to center under trailer, another half turn, same on other side of boat.

This keeps the strap from vibrating in the wind as you go down the highway.
    The belly strap should not contact the boat. I put 1/2 turn in mine, but I added a pair of small grab bars to the outside edge of the frame to run the belly straps through. I have a couple inches of clearance now.

14. Member
    Cover vs windshield. Get a pool noodle at a Dollar store and cut a piece the length of the top of the windshield, cut a slit in the noodle and use masking tape to secure it in place and thereby protect the cover from chafing while traveling at higher speeds. I also had several scuffs on the windshields from the cover (lined) rubbing, so I made a couple of felt socks to fit over the windshield. And, to support the cover while traveling or parked in the rain, I made a couple of PVC "T"s out of some straight pieces, elbows for the corners and Tees for the cross to leg piece. Don't use PVC cement, and slip apart for easier storage.

15. Member
    I wouldn’t even consider what the bbc boards think. I travel from Ohio to South Carolina/ Georgia every year and wouldn’t leave the garage without my cover on. That road dirt all through the interior is a bitch to clean.!! Strap her on tight and make that road trip.!!