Thread: New Old Putter

New Old Putter

Watched Dustin Johnson win last weeks tournament with some stellar putting.
    Putting used to be his major challenge to winning.
    He had a new putter-Taylor Made Truss and announcers were talking about “toe up” positioning of the putter head to swing it through the putt.
    So, I priced the putter online at $299.
    Then I thought I probably have something close to it in the barrel in my garage of the 20 or so putters in there.
    Found a couple of Ping Pals, one Never Compromise and one Odessey that were good feels when I picked them up.
    Two had crystallized grips they had been in the garage so long.
    Dropped one off at the pro shop for a grip change and took the Never Compromise out for a spin at the practice green Monday.
    It felt good.
    Played it today and by the back 9 it was working. One 20’ par putt, one 10’ birdie putt, jammed another birdie putt into the back of the hole and it bounced out a few inches. A couple of others hit the hole and out. It will be a keeper so I put a new grip on it.
    Previously I have been using a Taylor Made Spider Putter since Sergio won the Masters with it 3 years ago.
    I have been using the claw grip and have actually been putting pretty well with it except I was getting my long putts close but not in the hole. So my task was to find a putter to get those birdie putts to the hole.
    The Never Compromise is heavy, swings true and definitely gets the ball to the hole better with more feel to me using a conventional grip which I enjoyed using again.
    So here goes nothing. Use it for a while and hope it will get the birdies in the hole.

2. Member
    Putter is a very personal club. What works for one may not work for you. If you want to spend 3 to 500, get a fitting from a "real" pga pro. Not some smuck a the local golf shop. It all depends on your stroke, both back and follow thru. Will a center shaft work best, will this offset shaft work better? Neutral weight from to to heal? Heal weighted? Toe weighted? You just have to get the fitting.

3. Member
    putting is 99% mental and 1% luck, or something like that, I think.

4. Member
    Well, maybe I should explain a little more.
    I have played golf for over 50 years starting at the age of 13.
    Over those 50 years, I have acquired a fair assortment of some top notch putters, that for one reason or another have been banished to the barrel of death in the garage. Occassionally I will go through those and see if some magic returns. Some of those are hand me downs from Dad and have good memories as he took up the game only after I did. I especially like his Ping Pal 2 with a rubber cup on the end he used to get the ball out of the cup when he was older.
    Wilson 8802, Scotty Cameron, Taylor Made Spider, Ping, Odessey, Never Compromise, all with several different models.
    Feel is very important in putting.
    Over the 50 years of my body changing, so has my feel.
    3 years seems to be the longest I will keep a putter in play.
    The current model played has been great, but with a mallet head and a claw grip I didn’t have the greatest feel, but did have good distance control and generally on line.
    Searching for one again that has that better feel, to get the ball to the hole consistently and with a normal grip again.
    It was nice to be able to go to the barrel after watching Dustin putt so well and to find one that has me putting better than before in two short sessions with it.
    Our greens have slowed somewhat by the hot weather arriving and the grass not being mowed as short as before in the spring when they were rolling 10-11. So a putter with a little more concentrated weight has allowed me to adjust to a changing course condition and putt even better. And I didn’t have to pay $299 or get a professional analysis to do it. Let’s just say I have acquired some knowledge about my golf game and putting abilities over those 50 years. If I hadn’t been able to figure it out on my own, then I certainly would have gone for some help. My club pro is great. But I like doing it myself if can as long as I am able.
    Changed my grip for drives with excellent results of late as I was scheduled for a lesson to lengthen my drives. Pro had to change the lesson and while trying grip adjustments I found my key. So, gave the lesson to my wife for her to continue her learning. Very satisfying to me to tinker with the game, swing, mental approach, etc and obtain positive results.
    That is why golf is a life long game that can intrigue, frustrate, depress, or bring great joy and satisfaction to all of us players during our lives. I have been lucky enough to involve my 2 daughters, wife, grandsons to the game as well. I especially enjoy tournament play and a competitive mindset. That is a true test to me of golfing ability and mental sharpness. Match play especially so.
    I am headed to a 7:30 tee time. Hope you all get out and play as well!

5. Member
    Today I pulled that putter out on number one green and drained a 25’ putt for birdie.
    Sweet.
    No other birdies but very close on several and made at 15’ putt for bogie.
    Pretty pleased for day 3 with this putter.
    39/41 for an 80!!!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Today I pulled that putter out on number one green and drained a 25’ putt for birdie.
    Sweet.
    No other birdies but very close on several and made at 15’ putt for bogie.
    Pretty pleased for day 3 with this putter.
    39/41 for an 80!!!!!

7. Member
    Ive taught golf for 40 years and am now 70 years old and still carry a 2 index. Guess I dont know?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Ive taught golf for 40 years and am now 70 years old and still carry a 2 index. Guess I dont know?
    You probably know.
    You just didn’t get the point of my story!
    It happens
    How many putters have you used in all those years?
    How many Old putters have you kept but not used lately?
    I am sure you may have a good putter story or two if you care to share it.
    Last edited by Bearetta; 07-03-2020 at 05:43 AM.

9. Member
    So you changed putters because someone won a T with a different club, turns out your old club plays better than the new one? Maybe thats why I don't golf.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

10. Member
    I just wonder how anybody even played golf before you got fitted for every club in your bag? Heck growing up I was lucky to have a glove that fit. I still have my original putter and I bet I could still make some putts with it even though it only about 24 inches tall
    I still play with my old staff irons on occasion , I've thought about using my acushnet ac 108's but they still have the original grips from 1973, when dad bought those for me the fitting went like this , golf pro; how about these? Me; no I like these better ,
    dad ; are you sure me; sure. I got myself down to a 4 handicap with those weird looking irons. I've spent many years and tons of money since and now can't get below a 15 with all thes fitted clubs

11. Member
    50 years of golf, 58 years of fishing.
    I have a lot of old fishing rods and reels too!
    I do not go back and try any of those-they are for the grandkids.
    They should have tournaments for wooden drivers only-then everyone would want to buy one and I might be able to sell those last few I have kept these many years!

In 1969 I washed dishes for $1.00 per hour. Saved $350 that summer and bought golf sticks and a bag. No money for shoes. My Dad asked me how much I spent. I said all I had. He said that was stupid. I said you can’t play golf without them. He joined a little country club the next day even though he didn’t play golf. But he learned to later and moved into a house on that course. Golf has been a big part of our family for years.

My wife just left to meet her lady friends for a 7:30 tee time. I will tee off with the gents at 9:15. We played in a couples Nine and Dine last night after both of us played 18 holes in the morning.

I am enjoying a lot of golf lately. Even in this heat.

Happy Fourth of July!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    So you changed putters because someone won a T with a different club, turns out your old club plays better than the new one? Maybe thats why I don't golf.
    He made some fantastic long putts which pushed me to try and make long putts rather than just lag up close to the hole. I have been making some long putts in practice and in play this week. It is a different mind set. Like fishing for big bass vs anything that swims.

13. Member
    Today started with the new old putter sinking a 10 footer for birdie.
    Then two more 10 footers on 2 and 3 for pars.
    5 1 putts on the front for 65+feet of made putts.
    Fell apart on a few holes on 2 bad drives but all in all a good day.
    no 3 putts all day. 28 putts total which is stellar for me. 40/42 for an 82.
    Match play starts tomorrow!

14. Member
    I've tried putter after putter throughout the years but i always end up going back to my Scotty Cameron pro plainum laguna or Redwood Ping Zing putter, this look and style just fit my eye better and gives confidence even if my score don't show it.