The reason why mileage on trailer tires does not matter

https://www.vescolub.nl/wp-content/u...bber__Tire.pdf

You can read through the .pdf, but here are the Cliff Notes:

Tire manufacturers add waxes and paraffins to tire rubber for protection against ozone (leading cause of rubber degradation). As the tire is used, the heat and flex migrates the wax/paraffin to the exterior of the tire, ensuring a constant supply. When tires are in a stationary state, these materials do not get migrated to the exterior, resulting in more ozone damage than would be seen on a tire that was being regularly operated.

That is why you check manufacture date on tires when purchasing. Also why a trailer tire that “looks” good can be a ticking time bomb. Just because you only pulled your trailer 1,000 miles in the last ten years does not mean your tires are still good.

Just a PSA...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Great information and so so true. I was "that guy" many years ago. I purchased a boat that had "new tires" by tread appearance. I looked at the tires a handful of times before heading home, and when I asked about them "they were new before the boat sat for a handful of years." I told my wife we will be lucky to make it home on those tires. 110% I didn't make it 10 miles down the road before one started to separate and blew. The second one did the same thing as I was coming down my road.

I treat tires like they have a shelf life, once reached regardless of remaining tread, they're getting replaced.

3. Member
    Only supposed to leave trailer tires on 4 years I stretch it to 6

I usually stretch it to failure

5. Member
    Do any of the tire care products serve as this protection.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Do any of the tire care products serve as this protection.
    I doubt it but the pieces are shiny.

7. Member
    Found this out the hard way - bought a boat (very lightly used) that likely had the original
    tires (15+ yrs.) and thought I would 'limp' home (tire and tread looked great).
    First tire lasted 60 miles, second one another 80 miles. Looks can be deceiving ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Those cheap azz Goodyear Marathons ( American made ones) lasted 12 years. They never caused me any problems. Checked the pressure every single time I pulled the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Those cheap azz Goodyear Marathons ( American made ones) lasted 12 years. They never caused me any problems. Checked the pressure every single time I pulled the trailer.
    Just replaced mine that came on a 2K trailer - always garage kept and never a problem.