Helix 12 gwn2 broken tabs hold cable connector on?

Anyone else have their plastic clips (on back of unit) break off. I have mine cable connector secured and out on water last weekend I hit a wave and noticed the unit cut off. Upon further diagnosing i noticed the plastic tab is broken off. I would have thought a better design with metal lock or tabs would be better suited.

Broken clips on the cable collector and broken tabs on the unit have been reported.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Yes hummingbird contacted me and am sending it in for repair.

4. Member
    It's a lame design. The sacrificial part of that connection (if there has to be one) should be the clips on the cable collector itself, as they are able to be easily replaced. The tabs on the back of the unit should be metal or at least run from one side of the opening all the way to the other side instead of just being hung out there with three sides exposed and support on only one side.

5. Member
    you would think with them sponsoring pro staff they would have thought of the extreme conditions they would be exposed too. Engineers could have designed the clips as replaceable with some kind of insert. I am not bad mouthing Hbird. I am lucky they sent me a RA number yesterday to ship back and have clips replaced. Other than the cost of shipping I am fortunate they did it in good faith. I am shipping it back on Monday. I also am sending a sd card for the technician to look at the side imaging. The mega side imaging looks like windows does when it boots up in safe mode. It has never been crisp as my other mega side imaging. In an attempt to improve the mega side imaging i have switched the bow to the console, not hooked up to the side imaging transducer. It has the same settings as my mega at the console does.
    I will post pictures on here for comparasion.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    It's a lame design. The sacrificial part of that connection (if there has to be one) should be the clips on the cable collector itself, as they are able to be easily replaced. The tabs on the back of the unit should be metal or at least run from one side of the opening all the way to the other side instead of just being hung out there with three sides exposed and support on only one side.

So how did the RA work out for you?
    I have this same problem on a Helix 12 but graph came used with the boat when I bought the boat.
    I was going to call and see what they say. but I thought I would search for others experiences with this.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSharky00 View Post
    So how did the RA work out for you?
    I have this same problem on a Helix 12 but graph came used with the boat when I bought the boat.
    I was going to call and see what they say. but I thought I would search for others experiences with this.
    It wasn't my RA, it was javelin90's. I was just belly achin'.

8. Member
    I had the same happen to my Helix 12 and I agree a poor design. I did contact Humminbird and since I bought this second hand it will be a flat fee of $400 to fix.

9. Member
    I know this is a old thread but I bought a used 12 Msi g4 and the tabs where broken. This is my redneck fix that is EAZY and can save you the $400 Humminbird factory fix and also save you the time and money shipping it to them.

10. Member
    This is a great idea.
    I would make the little "horseshoe" pieces out of aluminum or brass instead of plastic.