Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6 foot power poles: shorter and lighter. thoughts?

I have a stratos 294 with a 200 vmax ox66. A few years ago I had 8' talons , they were ok but too heavy and cumbersome , killed my low end performance.
    now a few years later i'm thinking of putting 6' power poles on it.
    why 6 footers and not 8' blades? because I feel like 6 footers are enough, plus they are less weight and shorter.
    thoughts?

While I'm still trying to decide myself, I'm torn between 8's and 10's. I don't think I would even consider 6's.

3. Banned
    I'll guarantee you one thing. You'll catch more fish with 8 ft. Power Poles than you will going an extra 1 mile per hour.

4. Member
    If you are worried about weight get the Sportsman 2. They are the lightest 8 foot pole.
    Brad Krone

5. Member
    I would never consider 6' poles as an option. My 8's only hold in 7' of water. I could only assume a 6' would only hold in 5' or less. Honestly if my garage door was taller i'd have 10's.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I would tell you to go 8' Poles. 6' Poles do not sell and have no resale value. They are simply too short to be practical for a bassboat and are much more suitable for super skinny flats fishing

7. Member
    my 8 is barely long enough
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Member
    8 ft min. I own 8s and would think 6s wouldn't really be worth it.

9. Member
    I have 8. More often than not I wish they were longer...unless I was fishing on the back of the boat and they were up.

8ft. 10 is a bit long and cumbersome and spot lock takes over at that point. My 8s hold in 6.5-7ft or less which seems optimal. Get the lightest 8ft and adjust your load, jackplate, and prop to match.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    For me and the areas I fish most often, my 8' poles are pretty useless. The boat had them on it when I bought it. They are handy for docking (in a few places), really handy for stopping and eating lunch.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    If you are worried about weight get the Sportsman 2. They are the lightest 8 foot pole.
    The Pro IIs are lighter. I just went through this when I purchased. This is from the website:

Sportsman 8' - 20.15 lb on transom, 28.7 lb total
    Pro II 8' ------- 17.75 lb on transom, 26.3 lb total

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    I would tell you to go 8' Poles. 6' Poles do not sell and have no resale value. They are simply too short to be practical for a bassboat and are much more suitable for super skinny flats fishing
    MinnKota is not making a 6' pole, that should tell you something.
    GO DAWGS

14. Banned
    I have a 12ft Talon and on my last boat I had an 8ft Talon and hardly used it cause I was always in 8ft of water. Now that I have the 12ft I use it all the time, works great.

15. Member
    The only time I've ever seen a 6 foot pole on a boat and thought it made any sense was on a duck hunting boat. Even though I would'nt want 10 foot poles because I think they sit up too high while stowed, I would never go less than 8.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    I'll guarantee you one thing. You'll catch more fish with 8 ft. Power Poles than you will going an extra 1 mile per hour.
    How about plain old fashion boat control. Radical Idea? Dont use poles, wont use poles. Poles dont catch fish.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    How about plain old fashion boat control. Radical Idea? Dont use poles, wont use poles. Poles dont catch fish.
    then this goes for anything... why 3 12" graphs I can catch fish with 2 7" units... why need spot lock, old fashion boat control, why need a 20' bass boat I can catch fish out of a 16 footer.... see, that logic doesn't work anymore.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    boat control?? We're talking a difference of like 20 lbs....I'd be willing to bet the performance difference on his boat with 6 footers instead of 8 footers isn't even measurable...
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    This

20. Member
    I own 6 foot power poles as pictured below and I have zero regrets. They are cheaper, lighter, faster, out of my girl friends way, and do not need to be lowered to fit in the garage. I care not about resale value. They have also won me enough money this year to pay for themselves. If I want to anchors in 8 feet of water I’d get a spot lock trolling motor.

Purchased on BBC from KandKKustoms at an awesome price.

01F1E4AD-B7FE-4BB6-BDFD-00C96D32E125.jpeg
    Last edited by tajchauvin; 07-02-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast