06 mercury pro xs 225 ?

< 1B389076 >Cleaning filter screen and noticed this on the starboard side and it looks as if something should be hooked into it. Not even sure what it is. Anyone know?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-25-2021 at 11:11 AM.

I think it’s where the speedometer pitot tube is connected when the motor is shipped.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    So I guess it’s supposed to just hang like that

I thought mine was clipped on something.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

That is the digital Pitot Sensor (was connected from the factory, but does not have to be connected or even present).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If you're asking about the sensor itself (not connections to/from it), the plastic "barb" attaches to a metal bracket on the coil plate, pic is my 2.5L should be something similar on your 3L...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Post a picture (here) of the Coil Plate on your engine. Since a full-dressed powerhead was installed, it's likely that you now have a later-style ignition (which would change the spark plug gap).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IZFR6J, Gapped to .043-.044" and torqued to 20 lbs/ft.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-23-2021 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Fat Fingered "6" missing

9. Member
    Thanks I appreciate it

10. Member
    Is this supposed to be IZFR6J

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes.

Also, be aware that your engine is not a "2006".

Really need the Serial Number as several items pictured indicate a much later set of electronics on this engine.

12. Member
    1B389076

13. Member
    You looked it up for me before I purchased I know it had lots of work done to it. I just wanted to swap plugs out and make sure it was the right ones

14. Member
    So my Engine is not a 2006. What year is it?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury doesn't use "years", so that's essentially a moot question.

The POWERHEAD was replaced in May of 2009 with a new, fully-dressed powerhead (which is why images above reflect coils and PCM of something near that vintage).

Your engine will indeed us IZFR6J plugs, gapped at .042-.044" (to match the powerhead/electronics).

16. Member
    Ok that’s what I thought thanks again for all your help