Thread: Slow Boat

Slow Boat

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a new Tracker Grizzly 1648 MVX and outfitted it with a 2016 Mercury 30 HP 4 stroke with a 9.5 x 11 prop. The motor sounds like it is running fine but the boat will barely get on a plain with me and 2 children in it. I was not expecting to win any races with this set up but thought it would do ok since the max HP for this boat is a 40 HP. I have been out of the boat game for 20 years so this is the first 4 stroke I have ever owned. Do I severely under power this boat or is it possibly a prop issue? I don't have a tach since it is tiller driven but it sounds like the motor is struggling to get up alot of RPMs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Member
    Problem is it needs the 40. Boats should always have the max HP motor on them. They sell them with smaller motor to make them sound like a deal. Think about it 10 more HP is a 30 percent increase in power. There is where your speed will be.

3. Member
    Problem solved. I was out yesterday and the motor would not idle down. I pulled the cowling off and found 4 bolts used for mounting the motor on a boat. The dealer must have left them in there when they pulled it off the last boat. They were blocking the throttle linkage so I was only getting about half to 3/4 throttle. I don’t have a gps but I’m guessing it runs about 20-25 mph. now.

4. Member
    Glad you found them before they caused an issue even more serious.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S