Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who uses a sandwich bracket for their power poles (boats without jackplates)?

I’m not referring to the brackets that attach to a setback plate but instead are just sandwiched in between the motor and the transom on a boat without a plate.

i wasn’t even aware that these existed until I saw the Raptor video. Then I checked power poles website and saw they also have these available.

how do you determine the proper rise and angle? Looks like there are several power pole sandwich plate mount options.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you can go on the adapter plate finder on powerpoles website or we would be happy to tell you the correct model for your boat. They are based on year make and model of boat. they can be used for any of the 8 foot anchors however can not be used on 10 foot blades. They would require the mtos adapter brackets with a set of sidemount braced jackplate brackets bolted to the mtos. Sandwich mount brackets have been available since the invention of the first Power Pole.

3. Member
    Thanks for your response. I honestly had no idea and even wondered a few years ago why they weren’t available in spite of all the mounts available for use with jack plate. Probably would have had an 8’ installed years ago knowing that now, lol!

may consider adding one but would be with a new boat if I go that route later this year. Thx again.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Thanks for your response. I honestly had no idea and even wondered a few years ago why they weren’t available in spite of all the mounts available for use with jack plate. Probably would have had an 8’ installed years ago knowing that now, lol!

may consider adding one but would be with a new boat if I go that route later this year. Thx again.

Sandwich brackets have warranty issues with some boat and outboard manufactures check that out first before you buy if warranty's effect your setup.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    Sandwich brackets have warranty issues with some boat and outboard manufactures check that out first before you buy if warranty's effect your setup.
    Ahh good point. How are they installed? Is it just mount only inbetween the transom and motor, or is there a gasket of some sort on the transom side to prevent damaging the transom?

7. Member
    Ahh good point. How are they installed? Is it just mount only inbetween the transom and motor, or is there a gasket of some sort on the transom side to prevent damaging the transom?
    I use one. it's just a bracket between the motor and the transom. No gasket or anything. The only piece about the warranty applied to Mercury Motors and Power-Pole had a Mercury specific sandwich bracket for those motors. They have now changed to a universal adapter and not a specific Mercury one to get around Mercury's warranty piece.

https://www.power-pole.com/mtos-dual...-thick-w-slots

8. Member
    Thank you. Next boat will more than likely have a Merc hanging off a Ranger or Triton so good to know. Thx again guys!

9. Member
    I use them as I do not have a jackplate and this was much cheaper than adding a jackplate and some brackets. I even installed them myself without any special tools.

adapter_plate_banner.jpg
    Last edited by STRETCH1; 07-01-2020 at 04:42 PM.

10. Member
    I use the sandwich bracket with powerpoles on a 1996 Ranger R70 with a mercury 125. A jackplate doesn’t do much for my boat and I didn’t want to make my boat any longer (barely fits in garage) or spend the extra money on a jackplate just for the poles. The sandwich brackets work great for my boat. Installed by myself in less than a couple hours, just had to get some longer motor bolts and new nylon lock nuts.

11. Member
    I installed them on my first boat with 10' blades not that hard to do, i would call Kevin at K&K. if i was to do that over install a jack plate for a extra hundred or two you can have a jack plate one way or the other you have to pull the motor

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    I installed them on my first boat with 10' blades not that hard to do, i would call Kevin at K&K. if i was to do that over install a jack plate for a extra hundred or two you can have a jack plate one way or the other you have to pull the motor
    cant use sandwich mount brackets with ten foot blades would have been Mtos adapter plates ( that sandwich) with sidemount jackplate brackets bolted to that.. Op is talking about actual sandwich mount brackets

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    cant use sandwich mount brackets with ten foot blades would have been Mtos adapter plates ( that sandwich) with sidemount jackplate brackets bolted to that.. Op is talking about actual sandwich mount brackets
    yes had to use MtoS plates

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Why can’t they be used with 10’ blades. I saw some boats that did that.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Why can’t they be used with 10’ blades. I saw some boats that did that.
    10 foot blades require "braced brackets" sandwich mount brackets are not "braced" therefore there not to be used on 10 foot blades. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. Would it work..yes...is it the proper way of doing it...NO!

16. Member
    When my boat was new dealer installed my poles by bolting them to the transom. I didn't think they were holding as well as I thought they should so I got some sandwich brackets and was very pleased with the way the poles held, until my transom cracked. Should've checked with them before using those brackets. I guess it's the extra torque they impose on the transom. Alweld said they would fix the boat if brought it back to Arkansas since it was out of warrantee. I just had a local welder fix the crack and put a plate on to redistribute the torque. The pic shows the crack and where the dealer originally installed the poles.
    crack1.JPG
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

17. Member
    RichW-I’m confused. Are you saying the cause of your cracked transom was due to the use of the sandwich bracket or the fact the dealer direct-mounted them to the transom?

18. Member
    RichW-I’m confused. Are you saying the cause of your cracked transom was due to the use of the sandwich bracket or the fact the dealer direct-mounted them to the transom?
    Alweld & local welder said it was the torque that the sandwich brackets put on the transom. Direct bolt, like the dealer originally did is the way to go.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    Alweld & local welder said it was the torque that the sandwich brackets put on the transom. Direct bolt, like the dealer originally did is the way to go.
    thx. I wonder if it’s a different deal for fiberglass hulls. I can kinda see where a direct mount would be best for an aluminum hull but I’m not as sure about a fiberglass hull.

20. Member
    I had a sandwich bracket on my tuffy. Worked great. Pretty sure I may have bought it here. Had to have dealer install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast