Thread: 300R Problem

300R Problem

Serial #1E081311

Was out the other morning and while running at WOT felt the motor lose torque. Was at about 87 mph, probably 6000-6100 rpm and boat lost it's "pull" and dropped down to 81 mph. Ended up getting out of it and shutting down the motor. I didn't get a look at the tach unfortunately, as a million thoughts of panic entered my mind. Went to start it again and it ran very rough for approximately 2-3 seconds and died, then wouldn't start again. Smelled strong odor of exhaust and sounded terrible. I can still hear the lift pump when I turn the key. Motor has 8 hours on it, and has been going through proper break-in. Only bought fuel from heavily trafficked stations around town. Dropped it off at the shop and awaiting word, was just wondering if anybody here had any ideas. Morale is low right now! lol

Have video of my attempt to restart it, just can't figure out how to post it.

2. Member
    Did you hear back from shop yet?
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

3. Member
    Not yet. I'll call this afternoon if I don't hear from them by lunch

4. Member
    Poor compression/leakdown on #6 cylinder. They bore scoped and the valve stays open. Mercury says they want to replace the powerhead but they don't have any to send.

Not real pleased about having a replaced powerhead at 8 hours. Let alone the fact they don't have one to send. Should be sending a whole new motor IMO. We'll see what happens.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hmmm... sounds like a valve-spring keeper "didn't".

Work with your dealer- usually they (and Mercury) will do everything they can to get you back on the water as quickly as possible.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor