PT 190 Rod Locker Lid Support Brace Repair

Hi All. Been a while since I posted. Questions for your experienced Tracker repair DIY'ers...

I'm wondering how people have reattached the support brace (long piece of aluminum under the rod locker lid) that is spot welded and keeps the lid from sagging too much when you step on it? Mine is currently becoming detached at one end and I want to button it back up (and reinforce the other side if possible) before it falls off completely.

Any ideas? I know you can rivet these braces back on (I did this when I repaired the same brace on the battery/gas tank compartment lid a few years ago). It is still holding up strong but I don't like how you get all the rivet heads visible and poking up a bit through the carpet on the top of the lid. They got hot as hell in the sun and my boys sometimes step on them barefoot, etc....

Anyways, I'd rather not rivet up the middle of the rod locker so looking for other ideas. Can this be spot welded in a better way? Take to a welder?

Roy - interested in your take if you don't mind as well as any other ideas.

Thanks!

2. Member
    One idea would be to pull the carpet back, install countersunk screws with lock washers and nuts, glue carpet back.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

3. Member
    I would take it to a welder for the easiest and cleanest fix.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

4. Member
    Just about guarantee, welding with the carpet in place, it would burn or melt... so pull the carpet back and weld, rivet, through bolt with countersink heads and nylocks, take your pick. The point being, if you dont want fasteners atop the carpet, the carpet will likely need to be peeled back first.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Pretty common issue. I ended up just riveting all of the compartment lid braces. Use a compact 1/8” aluminum rivet and you can fluff the carpet around it and youll never see it. Specialty fastener stores carry black ones that really blend in well.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Thanks for the ideas all! Looking forward to getting this fixed.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Pretty common issue. I ended up just riveting all of the compartment lid braces. Use a compact 1/8” aluminum rivet and you can fluff the carpet around it and youll never see it. Specialty fastener stores carry black ones that really blend in well.
    I did the same thing when the ones on my Tracker started coming loose. My boat had the light grey carpet and the rivets were hardly noticeable.