Thread: Honda-BLAST

Honda-BLAST

I’m considering putting a BF50 or BF60 on my new Alumacraft and I’m trying get a good hole shot without losing too much top end. Is the Honda BLAST feature a gimmick or does it noticeably improve hole shot?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_settr View Post
    I’m considering putting a BF50 or BF60 on my new Alumacraft and I’m trying get a good hole shot without losing too much top end. Is the Honda BLAST feature a gimmick or does it noticeably improve hole shot?
    Do not take this the wrong way because I love my Honda and it is by far the best outboard I have owned. However Blast is a joke, Honda's in general are just very hard to prop. I have found you either prop it for hole shot or top end but I have not found a prop that will do both. What I have done so far is prop mine to get on plane with a very heavy load knowing i'm giving up about 2mph. When I go up just one pitch I can't even get on plane running heavy.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Not sure if its a Joke or not, Might be worse without the blast??? Only way to know is to find a way to turn it off and see how it performs without it.

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses.

5. Member
    It depend on how your boat is set up. My 2017 40hp honda on a 17ft seaark tunnel style hull holeshot just fine under 1.5ft of water. But its a tunnel hull so the motor sits pretty high. Is yours a deep v?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

6. Member
    I got a Honda 50 last fall,and I feel that BLAST is no gimmick.Far better performing than the previous carbed model,which was a dog.I re-powered from a 50 Yamaha 2-stroke,and performance is close.But fuel usage is far more better.If you gradually advance the throttle,you won't notice it.But if you snap it,you can feel the kick pretty good.I run a Seaark 1660 tunnel and run a 14" pitch Yamaha black stainless prop from previous motor.

7. Member
    i have a 2013 bf40 on a 14' fibreglass runabout. no blast. i found it hard to get the engine height and trim dialled in with a 3 blade prop. i have gone to a 4 blade 12" pitch prop and now get the hole shot and control i wanted. not a fast boat but great stern lift and grip and it performs very well with a light or heavy load.

fuel economy is just incredible. 12mpg at 25 mph.