Thread: x 19 porpoising

Question x 19 porpoising

i took my boat yesterday for first run on break in first hr under 2000 rpms ok second hr not over 4000 well fron 2000 to 4000 the boat would porpoise with the motor trimmed all way down, i am only showing about 10 lbs water pressure, if i go ahead and open throttle it will get on pad and run 5800 rpms and 58 mph with full tank gas and 2 people weighing about 450 lbs took boat back to dealer they said the motor was mounted high for max speed my question does porpoising at low speed normal for this set up i never had a boat do this with motor trimmed all way down. some of you xperss guys please give me some advise. x19 with 175 sho and 22 pt yamaha sho prop which showes in there bulletin
    Last edited by BBW; 07-24-2020 at 06:32 AM.

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    When you finish break in you will have to play with prop and then height, to me X19 is a little more sensitive to set up than fiberglass but worth the trouble when dialed in.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    do you think water pressure is a problem

4. Member
    Have a 2020 X19 Pro w/200SHO and am experiencing proposing when letting off the throttle at 55 and slowing down to 32-35 mph. Can trim it all the way down to stop it but before I can get it trimmed down you're bouncing pretty good.

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    do you think water pressure is a problem
    Do you have a temp gauge ?
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

6. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MulberryMan View Post
    Have a 2020 X19 Pro w/200SHO and am experiencing proposing when letting off the throttle at 55 and slowing down to 32-35 mph. Can trim it all the way down to stop it but before I can get it trimmed down you're bouncing pretty good.
    Do you trim down as you slow down?
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

7. Member
    no temp gauge

8. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Some one else will have to chime in on water pressure on the 175 SHO,
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Some one else will have to chime in on water pressure on the 175 SHO,
    My 175 sho runs 24 psi at 6000 rpms .ptp 3 1/2 .I would think 10 at 4000 rpm is a little low .I think at 4000 I’m would be around 18 psi.Check ptp measurement.Get a tempest prop or something that has more cup to the prop .I have a 23 tempest b&b I can run trimed up between 34 to 37 mph no propoising.

10. Member
    At 4000 rpms water pressure is 22 psi

11. Member
    my gauge is not working it stay on about 8 all time moves about 2 up and 2 down with rpm change dealer is ordering a new gauge

12. Member
    had to lower motor, lost about 2mph but handles better no more porpoising at low speed going to add hole shot plate tomorrow if that helps may raise motor back up some, the water pressure gauge is not working dealer is ordering a new one

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    had to lower motor, lost about 2mph but handles better no more porpoising at low speed going to add hole shot plate tomorrow if that helps may raise motor back up some, the water pressure gauge is not working dealer is ordering a new one
    I don't have a hole shot plate .Boat will plane off in 2 seconds by my self 3 seconds with two .The right prop is every thing on these boats

14. Member
    i am running the prop that is in there bulletin, 22 pt sho ,the dealer set it up according to what they told him from xpress it worked better at that setting on top end but will not run with out porpoising until about 4000 rmp and when they lowered the motor it porpoises after 5400 rpm at 56 mph

15. Member
    Dealer installed Powertech prop was no good. Turbo FXP 23 runs fastest 63 @ 6000 and no porpoise. TRO 4 22 pitch lifts front and back better and runs 58 @ 5800 and no porpoise. Prop to pad just under 3” and over 15 psi water pressure. Both props had some slipping issues in the turns until I cleaned the welds on the pad. Factory anti-porpoising weld was not smooth and too thick. I sanded it down and added epoxy putty for a smooth ramp about 3/16 thick. Lightly sanded all bottom pad welds smooth and boat handled much better with no cavitation while turning and no porpoising unless I forget to trim down when slowing. Pic is before touch up paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate