Rough idle - Looking to replace Reeds

1993 150Hp 2.5L Black Max 0D245738

Hi Guys, New to the forum. Been trying to solve a rough idle problem for several seasons now. I've had the motor 10 years and I run it in salt water. The previous owner removed the oil mixer so I have to run it at 50:1 all the time. I'm sure that's not helping but i think the problem is more than just the rich mixture. It runs great over 2000 RPM's but it just wants to choke out when i bring the idle down below 1000. I've tried the mercury fuel additives and they've helped a little. Ive also switched to Mercury synthetic oil which also helps but the low idle is still a problem. I've been dealing with it by tilting the motor when I need to go low so the prop is close to the water line which reduces the back pressure enough so the motor wont stall.

Anyway, after reading a bunch of posts here about changing the reeds and the reed blocks I want to give it a go. I've watched a few you tube videos and it seems pretty straight forward my only question is what to order. I doubt the motor has ever had the reeds changed so I'm leaning toward buying all new reeds and blocks before getting started. Are there gaskets, fuel and vacuum lines I should change as well? Anything else? And what are stuffers ? I see they are replaced with the reeds. Seems like TDR, CCMS and Boyesen are the way to go. Any advice on what I should order and from where would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc00; 07-01-2020 at 04:34 PM.

2. Member
    you will need gaskets, some hoses possible, Loctite, stuffers move reed cages and up crankcase pressure smidge,use a single stage reed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I used the CCM reeds and noticed a definite better idle w my carb 200 merc
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I recommend, use and sell TDR Reeds. Our Parts Department can assist you with everything you'll need, including gaskets, clamps, and reeds.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. BBC SPONSOR
    We manufacture reeds,crankcase stuffers for better bottom end and midrange,and have all the gaskets you will need,as well as tech help,You should not need reed blocks...305-394-3354,Chris

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarsonMarine View Post
    We manufacture reeds,crankcase stuffers for better bottom end and midrange,and have all the gaskets you will need,as well as tech help,You should not need reed blocks...305-394-3354,Chris
    I run chris carson reeds in my engine. You call them they help you with everything. Anything on install it’s like they are looking over your shoulder over the phone.
    RANGER BOATS

Give the Carson’s a call, helped me out a lot on a motor I just did. Oil ratio has nothing to do with rough idle, especially at 50:1. Make sure everything else is right too, synchronization and all.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.