Bolt under lower cowling

2020 mercury 250 pro xs s/n 2b733600 27 hrs

There is a loose bolt laying under the lower cowling of my motor. I'm looking for a video or directions on how to remove the lower cowling so I can put it back in place. Dealer I bought boat from is 3 hours away and I've contacted 4 nearby mercury outboard dealers and had no luck getting anyone to look at it.

W7Jez%vfROCF++uQuiD2Vg.jpg kBToIcmVREapKapPxBimIg.jpg

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobass46 View Post
    2020 mercury 250 pro xs s/n 2b733600 27 hrs

...... I've contacted 4 nearby mercury outboard dealers and had no luck getting anyone to look at it.
    That is horrible....if you showed up in their lot with boat on the trailer, the would have to acknowledge you, right?
    It is a warranty issue, and as an authorized dealer, they owe you a place in line and a willingness to do the work. Maybe give a heads up besides "Missouri" as to where you are and someone could recommend a high quality dealer.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Call Mike at Eberlin’s boats and motor.

4. Member
    96yLBFEWTqOnoLLA4zIWnQ.jpg
    Here is the bolt, took a few bolts out of the cowling and was able to remove it but didn't get the cowling off. I can get it looked at next week, was hoping to get back on the water sooner.

5. Member
    The blue stuff on the bolt is a dry thread locking compound that does not look disturbed so the bolt is probably one that was dropped. I would run it if the the thread locker looks undisturbed.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

6. Member
    mine had a bolt loose rolling around and it was from a bracket with 4 bolts just under the powerhead

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are really being told that they won't touch it... call Mercury Customer Service and ask them who you should take it to.

As stated, it may simply be a bolt that was dropped, but under any circumstances, you really need to know that for sure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don, I've got an appointment to get it looked at Tuesday morning. Everyone was really backed up here due to the holiday and since I didn't buy it from them I understand not being able to get it looked at as quickly as I would have liked. I did get out and fish a little today and it seems to be operating normally.

9. Member
    No genius here, but I can tell you l would immediately call Merc CS and give the dealer names that refused you service. I can promise you that refusing service for a warranty repair will spur Merc to beat on those dealers. No manufacturing company tolerates that from a dealer.

10. Member
    They didn't refuse to look at it, just couldn't get to it as quickly as I would have liked. They were all extremely busy due to the upcoming holiday and had a line in front of me of customers that had purchased engines/boats from them. I was really hoping to find a video of how to get that lower cowling off, I'm taking it in this morning to get it looked at.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good choice. While removing those lower cowlings isn't rocket science, they are quite different from previous models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Good news, took it to Marty's Marine and they found the origin of the bolt, it was from the exhaust manifold. It has been reinstalled and I'm ready to go.

13. Member

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar