Banned

What's going on with my bathroom ceiling?

This just started about 2 years ago. Not sure why. Bathroom has a high ceiling - 15' or so. At first my wife thought it was bug clusters/ cob webs. I got a ladder and got up there to confirm that is not the case. It's a smooth ceiling, not popcorn. Previous owners removed the popcorn. Wrong paint for the humid environment in a bathroom? Sheetrock is not wet on the top side from roof leaks, e.t.c. 20200630_102431.jpg

2. Member
    Your bathroom ceiling is damp. Usually during the summer the A/C keeps the air dry in the house but as warm air rises you probably are holding heat at that high ceiling. You need a higher CFM exhaust fan as mold is growing on the ceiling. I spray with a bleach solution to keep it at bay. I should add that the exhaust fan MUST exhaust through the roof, NOT into the attic as is commonly found.
    Last edited by Sunny Jim; 06-30-2020 at 02:18 PM.

3. Member
    Insufficient vapour barrier and/or insulation above.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

4. Member
    Tell the wife to start taking cold showers. Yep thats mold. As mentioned, you need a larger cfm fart fan. If you prefer not to use bleach you can wipe it with Hydrogen Peroxide on a sponge to kill the mold. No odor this way. Shield your eyes what ever you use. Drop the exhaust thru a soffit if you have one close to the bathroom

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Insufficient vapour barrier and/or insulation above.
    Insulation above is looking a little thin. Another thing that I wonder if it may be a contributing factor is the bay window in the bathroom. Previous owner installed a single pane glass window there. I didn't know they even still offered those on homes, but I guess somebody tried to be a cheap azz. Might that be part of the problem?

6. Member
    When I had this problem you could not get rid of the mold. You could get most of the surface stuff off, but it goes deeper. I used a heavy duty primer made for this. Still came through in spots.
    This was after I had insulation blown in the attic and put a bigger fan in.
    Then I moved. Lol
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Looks like mold to me.

After you clean with bleach solution, apply a stain blocking primer and two coats of good quality semigloss paint. Let the exhaust fan run for awhile after a shower.

9. Member
    Ventilation!!!! A vapor is good but will not cure it all. Air exchange, fresh conditioned air into the bath while exhausting to the exterior. Exhaust more than you supply to have a slight negative pressure. This keeps the humidity (and other stuff) in the bath room.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

10. Member
    To maintain it your going to have to wipe down the ceiling periodically after you deal with your present problem. They sell anti fungal solutions that you could apply with a sponge mop on occasion. Maybe run a high volume portable fan upwards also. You have to turn over the air in the space. That's short term maintenance. Long term would be something like an awning window to bring in outside air naturally.

11. Member
    Also caulk around you vents and fan. If air vent are in attic the metal duct is not tight to the opening. It lets hot air from attic meet the cold air and you get condensation! Which mildew loves.

we put a timer on are bathroom fan and run it for 30 min.
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

12. Member
    Like above check fan/ insulation
    Use a product called shockwave to kill it then a primer called aftershock it will not come back. once it starts growing its in the sheetrock not just on the surface.