FWC Planting Eelgrass in George

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/291facf

FWC enhances Lake George by planting eelgrass
    In early June, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) planted eelgrass in Lake George, on the St. Johns River in Volusia County, to enhance the diversity of the native plant community in the lake’s shallow water areas.
    Lake George has historically had thousands of acres of submersed plants, which is an important habitat for a variety of fish and wildlife species. However, much of this submersed habitat was lost during Hurricane Irma and has not re-established since.
    The eelgrass was planted within fenced enclosures to protect the new plants until they are established. These planted areas will provide valuable habitat for many fish and wildlife species.
    For general waterbody information, fishing forecasts, virtual tours, plant control operation schedules and annual workplans, boat ramp information, and more, visit the “What’s Happening on My Lake” website at MyFWC.com/Lake.
    For more information about this project, contact Dan Kolterman with the FWC’s Aquatic Habitat Conservation and Restoration Section at 352-800-5024 or Dan.Kolterman@MyFWC.com.

2. Member
    AHAHAHAHAHA. They better tell the guy's with poison in the air boats to stay away from the fenced in area because you know them boys will be like LOOK they fenced in all theses weeds so they wouldn't run away when we spray them. SMH
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

3. Member
    It will be sprayed and all killed within 1year.
    Brad Krone

4. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Looked up Lake Monroe on their site.. Fishing Forecast says: Hurricane Irma did no favors to Lake Monroe’s eelgrass beds, and they’re still recovering. "Still recovering" That's funny..

5. Member
    They did the same on Istokpoga but it won’t take root because the soil is messed up now from what I was told.

6. Member
    I’m one of FWC’s biggest critics but this is great news. There is already eelgrass growing all over the river once again so a replanting in the lake is awesome.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

7. Member
    FWC can take some of the eel grass on Lake Guntersville to Florida and plant it. We have more than enough here!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

8. Member
    FWC was also planting Eel grass on Lake Kissimmee this year.

Back in the early '80's they planted bulrushes and eel grass in Lake Monroe with excellent results. Most is gone today but it did last 25 years. They need to do plantings in Lake Harney and Monroe. They had prisoners do the planting.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 07-03-2020 at 07:37 AM.

9. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Back in the early '80's they planted bulrushes and eel grass in Lake Monroe with excellent results. Most is gone today but it did last 25 years. They need to do plantings in Lake Harney and Monroe.
    Need to scrape, then plant! Doubtful they'll spend that kinda $$ around here, in the foreseeable future, but it would be nice!

10. Member
    Well we can admit one thing.... When a Bassmaster event is won in Trout creek (even with terrible weather) and the majority are fishing shell beds all year we know it sucks. Nothing more fun than dragging a C-rig or drop shot in Florida. If I wanted to do that I would move to the midwest.

11. Member
    I'll be curious to see if it takes. There's a lot of poison in that lake bottom
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Need to scrape, then plant! Doubtful they'll spend that kinda $$ around here, in the foreseeable future, but it would be nice!
    Being part of the St. Johns River, they can't drawdown Monroe and Harney and scrape the bottom like Kissimmee chain.

13. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Being part of the St. Johns River, they can't drawdown Monroe and Harney and scrape the bottom like Kissimmee chain.
    Backhoe on a barge/pontoon will do. Area's that need it are 3' or less, most of the year. They don't even need to pile it up, just form rows/berms with openings would be fine with me..

OK, FWC blames hurricanes for that BUT I SAW them bio-nuke a LOT around George and even the Drayton Island area (where I watched Clunn fish the last day of the 34# bag) which DID NOT NEED IT by any means...
    my best four $$$ banks are STILL bear and ugly...muddy erosion...horrible mismanagement!!
    Did see some eel grass last fall in Salt Springs area...just 6-8 inch tall patches maybe 10 yards long...could not hold bass yet though...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

15. Member
    To make matters worse, FWC has sprayed any and all Mats in the pads they could South of PCD!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    To make matters worse, FWC has sprayed any and all Mats in the pads they could South of PCD!
    Gotta keep those high rollers who contribute to political campaigns happy, such as the vp's of large chemical companies who produce these toxins that are sprayed in our waters. Also, don't think applied aquatics isnt also in someone's ear. Every time you see one of their trucks with an airboat hooked up you know there up to no good.

The IRONIC thing is the local FWC officer you see patrolling is on our side a lot of the time. One evening while at Camp Mack, I met an FWC officer who also happened to fish "the stren series" as a pro angler. He was there to fish some big open tx so we chatted for a good part of that friday evening. He told me he witnessed sprayers just nuking an area to death and spraying everything THEY WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO when in fact they were supposed be there just to "spot" spray. He said he reported it and did what he could to draw attention to it making a fuss about it and guess what happened. He told me his superiors from Tallahassee told him to hush up, not to snitch or tell on the sister organization of the state and that he was to cease all inquiries regarding spraying. It didn't concern him and if he liked his current job then it would be in his best interest to forget this whole matter! If not he just might find he and his family relocated to lets say a less desirable set of orders in the state.

After hearing his story it just confirmed back door deals are more than likely going on with money switching hands. He was "silenced" for a reason. His documentation of the state telling him to shut up just points out that he was stepping on someone's toes and they didn't like it. Nor did they appreciate him drawing attention to use of thousands of dollars of UNNECESSARY chemical being used. At some level the FWC is corrupt nor are they in it for you and me.

Something is going on when your job is threatened and your told to shut up by people wearing suits and ties. This was about two years ago.

Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 08-06-2020 at 08:54 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Gotta keep those high rollers who contribute to political campaigns happy, such as the vp's of large chemical companies who produce these toxins that are sprayed in our waters. Also, don't think applied aquatics isnt also in someone's ear. Every time you see one of their trucks with an airboat hooked up you know there up to no good.

The IRONIC thing is the local FWC officer you see patrolling is on our side a lot of the time. One evening while at Camp Mack, I met an FWC officer who also happened to fish "the stren series" as a pro angler. He was there to fish some big open tx so we chatted for a good part of that friday evening. He told me he witnessed sprayers just nuking an area to death and spraying everything THEY WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO when in fact they were supposed be there just to "spot" spray. He said he reported it and did what he could to draw attention to it making a fuss about it and guess what happened. He told me his superiors from Tallahassee told him to hush up, not to snitch or tell on the sister organization of the state and that he was to cease all inquiries regarding spraying. It didn't concern him and if he liked his current job then it would be in his best interest to forget this whole matter! If not he just might find he and his family relocated to lets say a less desirable set of orders in the state.

After hearing his story it just confirmed back door deals are more than likely going on with money switching hands. He was "silenced" for a reason. His documentation of the state telling him to shut up just points out that he was stepping on someone's toes and they didn't like it. Nor did they appreciate him drawing attention to use of thousands of dollars of UNNECESSARY chemical being used. At some level the FWC is corrupt nor are they in it for you and me.

Something is going on when your job is threatened and your told to shut up by people wearing suits and ties. This was about two years ago.

What a crock of S%&T!!