Thread: Mercury Pro Max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury Pro Max

Anyone here running a Pro Max prop with a Mercury 300R 160 sporty ? Been thinking about ordering a labbed 26, would appreciate some feed back, buying these props to try is getting expensive, and they are proud of that pro max.

2. Member
    I havent tried a promax on this engine yet but if you are unhappy with loaded holeshot with a 26 bravo a 26 promax is going to be worse.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    I havent tried a promax on this engine yet but if you are unhappy with loaded holeshot with a 26 bravo a 26 promax is going to be worse.
    The 26 Bravo that I am borrowing does not have the pvs holes, I think if it did the hole shot would be much better. I am still not 100% sure that I am getting full throttle, had a marine tech check it and he said it showed 100%, but I had another guy ask if the tech read it after I let off of the pedal, he said if it did not read zero then I was not getting 100 %, I do not recall the tech saying anything about it after I left off the throttle.

4. Member
    I have a promax on my 21xrs with mer250 4 stroke and it eliminated the torque. I ran 35 miles and was wore out the first time, put this prop on and it is power steering man.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

5. Member
    Personally, if I were buying one, I would get the pro finish if it's going to be an everyday prop and not one for trying to get an all out top end number. I actually have one that I love on my setup (totally different from yours) that I'd let you try if you were here in North Alabama.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    The 26 Bravo that I am borrowing does not have the pvs holes, I think if it did the hole shot would be much better. I am still not 100% sure that I am getting full throttle, had a marine tech check it and he said it showed 100%, but I had another guy ask if the tech read it after I let off of the pedal, he said if it did not read zero then I was not getting 100 %, I do not recall the tech saying anything about it after I left off the throttle.
    I would definately get your engine verified 100% throttle before throwing $ @ more props.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDon View Post
    I have a promax on my 21xrs with mer250 4 stroke and it eliminated the torque. I ran 35 miles and was wore out the first time, put this prop on and it is power steering man.
    Don do you have the labbed finish or the regular finish ? How fast and how good is your hole shot loaded ? Thanks

8. Member
    Are you happy with the 26 Bravo other than the hole shot? If so just get you a Bravo xs in 26 pitch and spend some time adjusting the plugs and you'll be done with all the prop stuff.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr 22 View Post
    Are you happy with the 26 Bravo other than the hole shot? If so just get you a Bravo xs in 26 pitch and spend some time adjusting the plugs and you'll be done with all the prop stuff.
    The top end is not all that great, tourney load and wells full it may run 75, which is pretty fast but not near what some guys are saying they are running.

10. Member
    I don't think the 26 lab will be enough pitch.

11. Member
    I run a 26 Pro Max on my 21XD with 250XS and 1:62 gears. Hole shot pretty good, mid range outstanding, handling is also outstanding. It carries a load well too. The only thing I think is a little sub par is top end. I think its a couple MPH slower on top end. Mine is all stock so having it tweaked may help.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet90 View Post
    I don't think the 26 lab will be enough pitch.
    The hole shot with the 27 Bravo 1 xs is bad, especially when loaded. I will see how my 26 BRV 5, does when I get it back from Steve's, maybe it will be the one.

13. Member
    21ss/300r. I run a Pro finish 31 and 32 promax depending on my load during a tournament. I love this prop on my setup for fishing.

I tested a lab finish and it did not perform well at all. In talking with others, we feel it is because of the thinned blades and flex. With the v8 you do not need the thinned blades for extra rpm like the opti. I would certainly go for the profinish.

14. Member
    Sandman.
    Are you running 1.75:1 gears. I'm in a 300R SST and having problems blowing props out on the break over. How does the promax due with that issue.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

15. Member
    1.75. I have hyd jack plate. I set at running height. Full throttle, just as boat peaks, I run plate down. Once it breaks over, I start to raise motor. This seems to work very well on my setup.

16. Member
    Ya I've got a manual plate. May have to change but didnt want to add any more weight to the back. Bad enough now.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

17. Member
    I have 2 poles, hyd plate, 4 batteries, and with 55 gals of gas w/gear, can get out of the hole as described above.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman123 View Post
    I have 2 poles, hyd plate, 4 batteries, and with 55 gals of gas w/gear, can get out of the hole as described above.
    What brand hyd plate are you running?

19. Member
    Bobs Action 12 inch.

20. Member
    I was having the same blow out issue on break over. I have a 20xdc with 250R. If I set the plate low enough to get out of the hole and not blow out I would lose all top end, to set so it run out on top it would blow out to the point of stalling and falling off pad. I went with a Bob's hydraulic and solved the blow out issue, and not to mention getting a little more on top because I can fine tune on the fly.

I've never felt like a Bullet really ever needed a hydraulic jack plate, but after messing with this new v8 I'm changing my mind. I do think there is still a "sweet" spot to hit with a manual and v8, but I think a person will be leaving a lot more on the table than with the v6's we used to run.

I'm also running (2) 10' poles and a 14" set back. The mounting holes that come pre-drilled in the Bob's plate for poles is about 3 inches further back on the plate than on my manual, and moving that much weight back 3 inches was noticeable. I also went with a 14" plate, (had a 12") and moving the weight of the motor back 2"s also was noticeable. I may of should have went with a 12".

I'm running (1) 24v lithium battery and (1) lead crank, and I load my tackle as far forward as I can, and that helped.
    Last edited by sowenssw; 07-30-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast