Which direction to go with gauge upgrades? Older Optis.

#52Today, 08:48 AM

I'm planning a cosmetic restoration of my boat this winter and trying to gather parts now.
    I have a mismatched set of 225s Optis (full specs below). It appears Mercury made the analog to digital harness for the older (2000 model) of these motors (859649A2).
    I'm trying to plan my approach to gauges. All analog now ( I assume the 2006 has the digital to analog conversion harness).
    Should I (Can I)?
    * Upgrade to a system that allows data to feed my Garmin GPSMAPS 840xs?
    * Upgrade to an older "Smartcraft" gauge system?
    * Upgrade to some version of the "Vessel View" system?
    * Just replace my analog gauges, the rest not being worth the hassle?

This being an offshore rig, fuel consumption monitoring would be a great addition.

Port Motor
    MY2006
    Ser. Number 1B447039
    Model 1225D83HY
    225 DFI 3.0L

Starboard Motor
    MY2000
    Ser. Number 0T054331
    Model 1224483WD
    225 DFI XL SW

I also looked at the offerings from NoLand Engineering (RS11) and Fox-Marine. I would consider a 3rd party solution like those as well.

Any guidance is appreciated.

2. Member
    The 2000 motor is not going to allow you to use a "Vessel View".

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The 2000 motor is not going to allow you to use a "Vessel View".
    If that's true (and I'm not implying that it isn't), that option is eliminated.

4. Member
    Anyone got experience with this scenario? I'm not opposed to putting analog gauges back in there, just don't want to miss an opportunity to upgrade. The Garmin is capable of way more than I'm using....

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe I already responded to this for you previously. If you check out Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of this Forum), you can drop her an email and we will assist you with your needs.

As previously stated- this will be of particular challenge due to the older engine (rather odd pair you have there).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks. Yes you advised me to start a new thread in my response to a similar thread. I'll drop Rhonda an e-mail and see what (if any) options I have. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Believe I already responded to this for you previously. If you check out Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of this Forum), you can drop her an email and we will assist you with your needs.

As previously stated- this will be of particular challenge due to the older engine (rather odd pair you have there).