Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

POWER POLE BLADE VERSES MINN KOTA RAPTOR

I have a set of 8 foot Blades and I just love them they get deployed at least 15 times each trip. My question how many buyers would purchase a new to the market product verses one that has been out for quite some time and from what I can see they have worked out all the bugs that being the Power Poles.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

2. Member
    it appears that the raptor has a few more features than the blade, but i don't own either one yet. i will wait a little while and see how it goes with both of them.
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    Panoptix Livescope System
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

I will get rid of my faded ones & buy them

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Personally looking at the Raptor I would compare it more to the Pro II then the blade if we are comparing apples to apples. I have heard alot of talk that there cheaper, there really not , not if you buy Blades from any of the board sponsors such as myself. There brackets retail at 250 each and the foot switch looks to be north of 150 all added up they arent cheaper. My thought is if you want a power Pole buy a powerpole from a company who has been in business for over 20 years and has a proven product why buy a Minn Kota " powerpole" thats new untested from a company with a history of poor customer service. Active anchoring is there only sell feature over Powerpoles and it is unproven by consumers, its a new product time and real world use will only determine how good they are. The stern bracket looks like it could be a weak point to me

I once bought a Ficht and it was the last time I pioneered a new product. Gonna let someone else take the arrows,
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Everything was new & unproven at one time or another.

7. Member
    I am only speaking for myself on this but to those who do not own powerpoles. I have had 3 sets of blades you could say. I had the generation previous to whats current. I had a split thermoplastic line. CS stepped up and made it right. Way out of warranty.
    I ended up selling those after i did the full blown hose/cylinder upgrade with zero issues and now I have the most current blades. I have no issue with them pulling out or drifting. I have taken many naps in the shade with them deployed and let my daughter swim at the infamous sandy beach on lake Murray and it stays where I put it.
    I think the bottom sense thing is a solution to a problem that does not exist. For me.

8. Member
    Active anchoring, fully sealed electronics on pump(eliminating pump failures seen in a damp wet bilge especially saltwater boats ) , 5 year warranty on everything not 5 year mech 2yr elec/hydraulic like PP, the stomp switch pack is 99.99 same as PP, much larger pump capacity, more than double the retraction force, more deployment force, beefed up bushings, networks to your humminbird displays, if the brackets are more expensive, use the PP ones. Whole pattern is the same for easy retro fitting to existing PP or Talons.

people said same thing about ghost and force how they were new and unproven.. Can't keep either of them in our warehouse....

they took a product that was proven and made it better..

Seeing as there are waaay more boats out there without any powered anchor, the market is still ripe. I don't have any myself, but was looking at the Talons. I have since moved from those to PP because most of the time I fish in a muddy/silty lake and didn't want to deal with some of the reported Talon issues and mud. But now the Raptor changes things, at least for me. I run all Minn Kota and Humminbird, so that integration aspect is appealing to me. But like many others, I hate to be a beta tester I'm likely still a ways away from buying any anchors, but the Raptors will get a very hard look from me.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Personally looking at the Raptor I would compare it more to the Pro II then the blade if we are comparing apples to apples. I have heard alot of talk that there cheaper, there really not , not if you buy Blades from any of the board sponsors such as myself. There brackets retail at 250 each and the foot switch looks to be north of 150 all added up they arent cheaper. My thought is if you want a power Pole buy a powerpole from a company who has been in business for over 20 years and has a proven product why buy a Minn Kota " powerpole" thats new untested from a company with a history of poor customer service. Active anchoring is there only sell feature over Powerpoles and it is unproven by consumers, its a new product time and real world use will only determine how good they are. The stern bracket looks like it could be a weak point to me
    +1. I will add that even IF the Raptor was completely equal in quality, Minn Kota - Humminbird - Johnson Outdoors is a million miles away in customer service. I've lived it and proved it many times over, not just a "word of mouth" scenario. I'm also pretty disappointed for the product believers that Minn Kota didn't improve their all electric Talon's.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Everything was new & unproven at one time or another.
    True I bought one of the first ultrex's and it has been to a ASC certified warranty center 4 times think its finally lined out.. well maybe. I do love it though however It's days are numbered on my boat.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 06-30-2020 at 09:03 PM.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pluggedtheboat View Post
    the stomp switch pack is 99.99 same as PP,
    they took a product that was proven and made it better..
    matter of opinion I guess, do you have or have used one yet to make the claim its better then a Power Pole for years Minn kota has claimed the talon was superior being electric and going straight down and that Power Poles design sucked and hydraulics were the inferior way and messy? Guess it doesn't hurt to eat crow if your Minn Kota. "Cant beat them so join them" scenario IMO. And funny bout the foot switches as a board sponsor here on BBC has them listed on there website as $169.99 for the Raptor... will they be $99.99 or $169.99.. to bad for the minn kota dealers that Minn kota has a minimum selling price in place on there products.. We can still and do price Power Poles cheaper. We will sell alot more brackets though that I do forsee. Minn Kota must have been watching the way the googan's do things.." copy something and put your name on it.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 06-30-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    True I bought one of the first ultrex's and it has been to a ASC certified warranty center 4 times think its finally lined out.. well maybe. I do love it though however It's days are numbered on my boat.
    I agree. Bought one of the first MG 109 tour tm when they came out, so I know how it feels to buy something totally new. I now run MK TM. As far as the Raptors, I would look at those for the 5 year warranty. That is on all theirs models not just select ones. I have the Sportsmans II that have a 3 year warranty whereas the blades have a 5 year warranty, if I'm not mistaken. My poles were $1299, the raptors are $1499 ( 8 ft) & $1499 for the 10 ft. if I read it correctly. That's not a big difference in price compared to the cheap Sportsman series. I have no problem with my poles, I like them but they are fading in some areas. PP knew of this condition & did nothing, which to me is a manufacturer's defect. And yes I know an anodized finish is prone to fading. They even corrected this by coming out with the powder coated models of the CM2s. I know the warranty on the Poles, paint ( or in this case, anodized ) are not covered by warranty. I guess if I had a $3500 pairs of blades that would be different. Anyway, so much for that. I don't know how good or bad the Raptors will be but I will definitely look hard at them in the future. As far as customer service, PP will be hard to beat but in all fairness I never had a problem with MK customer service, yet, so I can't knock that. Again, not knocking PowerPole at all, it is a good product with great customer service. Maybe the Raptors will be a better mousetrap. Maybe the competition will be better for all.

14. Member
    the stomp switch or the 2 pack of switches are 99 list the triangle shaped switch is 169.99 which does not need a Cmonster set up (120.00 for cmoster/ 120 for switch) plus a Navico display like power pole does. Raptor APP is FREE.

Interesting how power pole cant beat minn kota so might as well make a trolling motor and join em mind sight isnt shared.

For dealers who ship stuff, the raptor will make more sense to push and sell because these can now be bought thru distribution with flat rate shipping options.

almost every product every designed and built in this industry is a copy of something else with tech advancements and or price changes.. from the basic design of a bait casting reel, to the shape of a worm, to sidescan, to charting options and features, to gps spot lock trolling motors, or electric steer motor with cable like feel.

and they claim of how good power pole customer service is, is kind of a double edged sword, maybe if certain aspects of the PP product were improved like the pump set that does not have sealed electronics, or the weak points on the frame they would not need to do so much warranty and out of warranty repair?'

This is good for the industry it will help you sell more mounts....

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    which does not need a Cmonster set up (120.00 for cmoster/ 120 for switch) plus a Navico display like power pole does. Raptor APP is FREE.

Interesting how power pole cant beat minn kota so might as well make a trolling motor and join em mind sight isnt shared.

For dealers who ship stuff, the raptor will make more sense to push and sell because these can now be bought thru distribution with flat rate shipping options.

almost every product every designed and built in this industry is a copy of something else with tech advancements and or price changes.. from the basic design of a bait casting reel, to the shape of a worm, to sidescan, to charting options and features, to gps spot lock trolling motors, or electric steer motor with cable like feel.

and they claim of how good power pole customer service is, is kind of a double edged sword, maybe if certain aspects of the PP product were improved like the pump set that does not have sealed electronics, or the weak points on the frame they would not need to do so much warranty and out of warranty repair?'
    lol this is almost laughable.. you obviously have no clue about Power Poles .. every anchor is equipt with the c monster control system nothing else to buy, foot switches are 99.00 retail alot less thru us.. does not require anything extra.. The c monster App is free.. doesnt cost anything. Powerpoles sync to any gen3 or higher and Ti units as well as late model navico units free, nothing else to buy.. if you think powerpole has any weak points on your frame your dead wrong . If you dont think they have the best customer service in the marine industry you either havent used it or even delt with powerpole. Least for every little issue a customer has with a powerpole they dont have to run to a asc certified warranty center only to be told they dont have parts so your without your product, or even your boat if you dont wanna take it off. Power Pole just has a far superior way to get you back up and running should a problem arise. as far as a sealed pump, sure nice however something goes wrong your not opening it up yourself and being back on the water in 15 min w a board replacement your headed to a warranty center and without your anchors now.

As far as Powerpoles trolling motor the idea behind building one started 6 years ago long before Minn Kota decided to wait for powerpoles patent to run out and copy what they had due to not being able to sell people on talons or get market share in the shallow water industry with the "superior" all electric talon.

The Power Pole actually was designed and built by powerpole without being a copy of something else.
    There CHARGE is years ahead and far superior to any charger that minn Kota sells as well. but I dont doubt that a copy of that from minn kota isnt far behind.

they took a product that was proven and made it better.. thats hearsay its hasnt been in real world use by consumers.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 07-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.

17. Member
    Like i said before this is nothing but good for the industry. To think otherwise is ludacris.

oh i thought the advanced triangle shaped foot switch was 120 list?

but good to know on ALL the PP having c-monster. love learning about this stuff. Thought just blade HPU did. Not the sportman II you were previous trying to compare the Raptor to.

That power pole CHARGE is a great product. but its a battery charger that does the work of three different things that were already in the market?

it wasnt created from thin air? so something had to come from those products already in market? Dual pro chargers had a Delta view APP for years that would give state of charge, priority control, charge history data, real time info data.......

PP just took stuff already on market and designed and engineered a better mouse trap..

Competition is good for everyone including dealers like yourself and more importantly users of the products. Maybe now that Raptor is out Power Pole will release something new and exciting with Active Anchoring Raptor like features?

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin389 View Post

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Having had 8' blades on a couple of boats and loved them. I never had a chance to use PPs customer service but I did call them one time to ask a question about depressurizing the lines. A nice person answered the phone and was transferred to a tech who walked me through the process. My only complaint with PPs was loosing anchor when waves would pick up the boat.

I am currently saving up for a set of anchors on my current boat. I will be looking at Raptors when the time comes buy. The rest of my boat is Humminbird/MK.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Like i said before this is nothing but good for the industry. To think otherwise is ludacris.

oh i thought the advanced triangle shaped foot switch was 120 list?

but good to know on ALL the PP having c-monster. love learning about this stuff. Thought just blade HPU did. Not the sportman II you were previous trying to compare the Raptor to.

That power pole CHARGE is a great product. but its a battery charger that does the work of three different things that were already in the market?

it wasnt created from thin air? so something had to come from those products already in market? Dual pro chargers had a Delta view APP for years that would give state of charge, priority control, charge history data, real time info data.......

PP just took stuff already on market and designed and engineered a better mouse trap..

Competition is good for everyone including dealers like yourself and more importantly users of the products. Maybe now that Raptor is out Power Pole will release something new and exciting with Active Anchoring Raptor like features?
    I compared them to the pro II not the sportsman II.. I have no worry about the Raptor affecting sales after seeing it myself. If anything we have seen increased sales since the media release Monday. I think alot were waiting for something new and great and were very dissapointed. Also never said competition wasnt good for the industry, it certinly is looking at this weeks sales volume. Talons couldnt get market share im sure they will do a little better with the raptor.. lets hope anyway with all the money they have tied up into Raptor. I think the pros had a lot of influence as well a few heavily sponsored minn kota guys were forced into all minn kota products so had no choice to go to talons after using them they said you gotta come up with something more reliable and hydraulic if you want me to stay all minn kota. Hence the Raptor. Hell Seth fider thew his talon in the St. Lawrence river after it wouldnt retract and was costing him time ( time is money)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast