Mercury 250 PRO XS - Looking for help

I am looking for some help....Yesterday I was running down the lake at full speed and motor stopped. I then proceeded to try and get back on plane but every time I tried, the motor would start to accelerate but would not get on plane. You would hear the high rev of the engine and then feel the slipping. It will go in gear and let you idle but that is it. I figured I just spun a hub so I went and bought a new hub, put on, but same result. I also unscrewed bottom screw of lower unit to see if it had metal shavings but did not see any. Can anyone help? Could it be a prop issue or a deeper issue with lower unit?

Hope someone can give me some direction....Thank you!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor