Paducah shooting

Guess some of you knew John Parks and his troubles. He died this afternoon.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/form...c94d4b6e1.html

2. Member
    OMG... Terribly sad, in every way. I've known John for years. Been out of touch for a while. Was completely unaware of all this? Terrible.
    Last edited by Bobby Gray; 06-30-2020 at 01:55 PM.

3. Member
    Sad for the officer(s) that had to take a life, also. I wonder if, when he had nowhere to run, he just decided to end it all there.

Did he run the tackle shop next to the golf cart place? We were just by there today on the way home from the lake.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    Guess some of you knew John Parks and his troubles. He died this afternoon.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/form...c94d4b6e1.html
    I knew John for a few years when I did rod repairs for his shop. I'm a former prosecutor and my last couple years as a prosecutor were spent as a child sexual assault prosecutor. He and I used to talk about past cases, etc. After his arrest, I finished up the last few repairs I had for there, and the place was sold at auction. I spoke with John briefly after his arrest. He and I both knew he'd end up pleading to something.

My daughter and I were at Chick Fil-a ordering food when police tried to make the initial stop in the Kohl's parking lot area. Two unmarked cars went flying out of there after him when he took off.

6. Member
    Wow that is sad. There's no telling how much tackle I bought from that tackle shop over the years. Hard to believe. He was always very nice and professional. Gave great info on the lake and what people had been doing in local tourneys. Always thought he was a very nice guy.

7. Member
    Known him for a very long time working boat shows and he worked for us for about three years before he bought FH. John gave me some very good advice two or three times and really helped me deal with some issues i was having. He always loved being around kids, just kidding with them and i thought that was all it was. I tried two or three times to get him on the phone or meet him for dinner after all that happen last spring, sure would have liked to talk to him thinking i might be able to give him some advice, missed that opportunity sadly though. I read yesterday that John pulled a gun on that deputy leaving the deputy no choice. He would not probably had to serve but about 18 months, all so sad. John had a nick name for everyone he knew, mine was milk dud, he had some good ones for sure, will mess that part of him.

I feel bad for the officer. I understand that officers who have used deadly force never really get over it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Known him for a very long time working boat shows and he worked for us for about three years before he bought FH. John gave me some very good advice two or three times and really helped me deal with some issues i was having. He always loved being around kids, just kidding with them and i thought that was all it was. I tried two or three times to get him on the phone or meet him for dinner after all that happen last spring, sure would have liked to talk to him thinking i might be able to give him some advice, missed that opportunity sadly though. I read yesterday that John pulled a gun on that deputy leaving the deputy no choice. He would not probably had to serve but about 18 months, all so sad. John had a nick name for everyone he knew, mine was milk dud, he had some good ones for sure, will mess that part of him.
    Ben H was drift sock. Lol
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Ben H was drift sock. Lol
    Yes sir he sure was, that's what i called him until got to know him.

Read last night that John showed a pistol when confronted, i truly don't think he would have used it but the deputy had no choice and i firmly believe John knew that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Yes sir he sure was, that's what i called him until got to know him.

Read last night that John showed a pistol when confronted, i truly don't think he would have used it but the deputy had no choice and i firmly believe John knew that.
    I 100% believe that. John had the upmost respect for law enforcement. This was his way out without having to do it himself
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    I 100% believe that. John had the upmost respect for law enforcement. This was his way out without having to do it himself
    I couldn't speak to his motives.. But at one time if my memory is correct, and I believe it is, John served with the Paducah Police Dept & McCracken county Sherriffs Dpt. Ran a Cops & Bobbers event and tournament for a number of years also. So i'm sure he was under no illusions as to how that would go. Very tragic for all involved, including his victims if that was indeed the case. I've known John since we were teenagers, though out of touch since I moved south, short of occasional visits through FH. shocking to say the least

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    I couldn't speak to his motives.. But at one time if my memory is correct, and I believe it is, John served with the Paducah Police Dept & McCracken county Sherriffs Dpt. Ran a Cops & Bobbers event and tournament for a number of years also. So i'm sure he was under no illusions as to how that would go. Very tragic for all involved, including his victims if that was indeed the case. I've known John since we were teenagers, though out of touch since I moved south, short of occasional visits through FH. shocking to say the least
    John also always helped with the Ronald McDonalds tournaments for years and yes he put the Cops and Bobbers events on and yes he was a deputy for several years.