2007 Mercury Optimax 225 HP — Hole Shot Dropping off

I have a 2007 Mercury Optimax 225HP (375 hours) on a 520VX Ranger. I noticed when I was fishing this weekend that my hole shot seemed to be worse on Sunday versus Saturday. On Saturday it seemed like it was coming up and getting on plane pretty quick like normal. On Sunday I noticed that it was taking 2 to 3 times longer to get up on plane (5 seconds versus 10 to 12 second). When I push the foot pedal down it seems like there is a delay and then it revs up / powers up at slower pace. I also noticed that it sounded like it may be developing a small “miss” when you start it up and it is idling.

The high end speed is still fine. No drop off on the high end. At wide open I am running around 64MPH with 3 blade 25P prop and around 5500 RMP. Temp on the smart gauge seemed to be hanging around 128 degs +/- when running 50 to 60 MPH.

I do not know my serial number and the boat is back in storage at the lake so I don’t have access to it at this time. Any suggestions or thoughts of things I should check before taking it in to have it looked at by one of the dealerships / service companies? Any ideas of what it might be? I have been very fortunate that it has been a great motor with no major issues. I do have it serviced regularly and use the Quickleen and Quickare every time I put in gas.

2. Member
    Was it more Humid out on Sunday versus Saturday?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Was it more Humid out on Sunday versus Saturday?
    Not really. The weather was more overcast and rainy on Sunday versus Saturday. Both days were overacast with TEMPs in the mid 80’s.

4. Member
    Bump

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Humidity combined with temp can cost you a considerable amount of power.

Check the basics- make sure you're up to date on ALL recommended ANNUAL Maintenance (see FAQ Section for details), and if the problem persists after your next tank of fuel report back for assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Humidity combined with temp can cost you a considerable amount of power.

Check the basics- make sure you're up to date on ALL recommended ANNUAL Maintenance (see FAQ Section for details), and if the problem persists after your next tank of fuel report back for assistance.
    Thanks Euro. I have kept the engine very well maintained / serviced. I will report back after next trip out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    Not really. The weather was more overcast and rainy on Sunday versus Saturday. Both days were overacast with TEMPs in the mid 80’s.
    I'm gonna bet next trip you'll be fine and attribute the difference from Sat to Sun being that you had the livewells full plus that 5" of rain we got. Even though the bilge is kicking, the carpets and crevices hold water and add weight. If it makes you feel better we noticed the same thing, and also saw a few other boats struggling to get on plane.

How many PVS plugs and what size in the prop
    A 24 would be better in hot humid weather for you boat and only 1 or 2 large hole PVS plugs. That would get the rpm up a little and improve the hole shot considerably
    Thank You Leon Pugh