Upgrading the Eyra!

New Merc 4s will be on by the end of the week. Can’t wait to see what it does with the new motor. 2015 Eyra has been a monster with the 2s so I’m willing to bet it will be nothing but amazing with the upgrade. 80.1 is my top speed with the 2s. Going to be fun!

2. Member
    Buddy of mine just upgraded his Cougar FTD. It is a 2012 model and I have a 2013. I rode with him with his new 4 stroke and boy was I amazed at the difference in ride. Totally different ride as far as smooth vs the 2stroke. I love my cougar and how smooth it is but I am still amazed at how much different it was with the 4S. I am very tempted to get one but only have 65 hours on my 2 stroke.

3. Member
    The 4 stroke definitely runs/feels different but for pure speed my 2009 250 pro xs beats my 2020 4s.

4. Member
    Yes about 2mph less with the 4S?

5. Member
    Who did you order the motor through? Waiting on my 300 pro xs to come in.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman68 View Post
    Who did you order the motor through? Waiting on my 300 pro xs to come in.
    Boat & Motor Superstore in Tampa

Can’t wait to hear how it does. I’m sure I’ll be jealous, but my Optimax is paid for and has platinum warranty until 2024.

I just can’t justify the upgrade. Until maybe next year

good luck with it!
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

8. Member
    Man I cant begin to explain how much better the 4s is on the Eyra. The hull shot nd mid range torque are so much better. the handling is much smoother. The motor performs amazingly with the boat and transformed the experience. Ran it 77.8mph @ 6034rpms with a dinged up 25p fury (worked 1.5 years ago by Ronnie) in 87 degree water temp and 94 degree air temps. 1.5 tanks of fuel & full tourney load solo on those numbers (previously best is 80.1mph in 65 dgree water temps on the 2 stroke). Sent off my other prop and will be having it tuned by Mark Croxton to a 24p B&B (and asked for some cup for speed) o ill update numbers when I get that prop back. If you can, make the switch! You will be satisfied for sure!!!

9. Member
    Will a Merc monitor you had for the 2 stroke work for the 4S?

10. Member
    I have the smart craft gages on my boat and they all work perfectly. Some older boats I’ve heard has to upgrade the gages.

11. Member
    I still prefer the 2 stroke pro xs on my Cougar. Looking for a sweet deal on a 300. Oughta push it up in the upper 80's. The 4 stroke is an awesome motor and nice to see it as a viable option to the SHO.

12. Member
    Just test drove a 2020 Puma with Merc 250 4 stroke. Boat had a stock 25P Fury, both tanks slam full, live wells empty, 2 8ft power poles, very little tackle but 3 passengers (combined weight of passengers was 500 lbs.) water temp upper 80’s, air temp upper 8o’s as well, humidity near 100% that’s Alabama for ya. Zero wind, no chop, the water was slick as glass that day. The start up up of the Mercury V8 is just plain wicked, that growl when you turn the key over makes me giggle! I was surprised at how quiet the motor is at cruising speed though, you can still talk while cruising down the lake. Hole shot was good, not great but better than average considering all the extra weight. I think a 24P Fury would be worth trying for summertime. However, the mid-range torque is just insane, I really don’t know how to describe it other than not many boats want to race this boat from a 30 mph kick. The top end was very strong too 76.0 mph on gps. This is easily an 80+mph rig! The boat still had some left in but we ran out of real estate. Needless to say I bought the boat. Tomorrow I take possession of Black Beauty!
    Last edited by Mikes250r; 07-15-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes250r View Post
    Just test drove a 2020 Puma with Merc 250 4 stroke. Boat had a stock 25P Fury, both tanks slam full, live wells empty, 2 8ft power poles, very little tackle but 3 passengers (combined weight of passengers was 500 lbs.) water temp upper 80’s, air upper 8o’s as well, humidity near 100% that’s Alabama for ya. Zero wind, no chop, the water was slick as glass that day. The start up up of the Mercury V8 is just plain wicked, that growl when you turn the key over makes me giggle! I was surprised at how quiet the motor is at cruising speed though, you can still talk while cruising down the lake. Hole shot was good, not great but better than average considering all the extra weight. I think a 24P Fury would be worth trying for summertime. However, the mid-range torque is just insane, I really don’t know how to describe it other than not many boats want to race this boat from a 30 mph kick. The top end was very strong too 76.0 mph on gps. This is easily an 80+mph rig! The boat still had some left in but we ran out of real estate. Needless to say I bought the boat. Tomorrow I take possession of Black Beauty!

love that last few lines. Congratulations! Enjoy
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Member
    78.6 @ 6103rpm today.