2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Random Bolt

Mercury SN 2B576193. Not long ago there was a post on here with pics showing a random bolt that someone found in the lower cowling. I am hearing a loose bolt sound in my 2019 250 Pro XS 4S when I trim up and down. I was wondering if we ever determined where this loose bolt came from and does Merc have a recall on this item? Thanks!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No and No.

Probably wise to take a careful look- and if you cannot determine, get with your local (authorized) Mercury Dealer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    CAYMAS CX-21 PRO 2019 Mercury 250 HP PRO XS 4S (2B64777749)
    With the cowl removed try to see what side you are hearing the bolt roll. If it is on the left side (as this is where I traced my noise) fully tilt the engine and look with a real bright light toward the front left side of the bottom pan. You will see some wires that are lying on the bottom ban and will possibly see a black non-metallic bolt lying between the wires at the bottom front of the pan. I removed mine by taking Gorilla tape and wrapping it on a cut piece of a clothes hanger wrapped with the sticky side out to be able to reach to the front left side of the motor. My bolt still had lock-tite on it which leads me to believe it was dropped in there during some component installation. I or my Dealer could not find a missing bolt on the engine. Listen and look closely and you’ll probably find it. I heard mine on the second time I took out my engine for break-in.
    CAYMAS1

I hear it on mine as well. I always hear it when I trim up the motor after pulling it out of the garage. Need to start looking for the source.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

5. Member
    I heard it on mine. When I took it to the dealer they found a tool that used on the fly wheel recall.

6. Member
    mine done the same thing and it was a bolt missing from the 4 bolt support bracket just under the powerhead.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbearden View Post
    I heard it on mine. When I took it to the dealer they found a tool that used on the fly wheel recall.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Anyone found the source of this? I loosened the front of the chaps and got the bolt out of mine. 1/4 inch flanged bolt, 1 and 3/16 inches long, 10 mm head, F stamped on head, stainless. Anyone know where it came from?
    Paul

Can you see any other similar bolt heads with F on them? Does it appear that it had been fitted then came out of brand new, like they dropped one and left it?

The only 6 x 30mm “Flanged” I can see in the whole engine is 8M0075735 which holds the rigging tube adapter to the front of the lower cowl. This adapter is removed during rigging then refitted, if the bolt is not missing I’m thinking your dealer may have misplaced it and you just found it
    Last edited by thommo59; 03-17-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

10. Member
    2020 merc 225 4s. Had a bolt rolling around under the cowling. Half the paint was wore off. Could hear it when trim up to put transom saver on. Dealer found where it was supose to go. Some bracket holding a hose or wiring they said. Keep looking. It goes somewhere

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Can you see any other similar bolt heads with F on them? Does it appear that it had been fitted then came out of brand new, like they dropped one and left it?

The only 6 x 30mm “Flanged” I can see in the whole engine is 8M0075735 which holds the rigging tube adapter to the front of the lower cowl. This adapter is removed during rigging then refitted, if the bolt is not missing I’m thinking your dealer may have misplaced it and you just found it
    thanks
    Paul

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkp2609 View Post
    2020 merc 225 4s. Had a bolt rolling around under the cowling. Half the paint was wore off. Could hear it when trim up to put transom saver on. Dealer found where it was supose to go. Some bracket holding a hose or wiring they said. Keep looking. It goes somewhere
    thanks
    Paul

13. Member
    I was out with a buddy a couple months ago and he was complaining of the same noise. He pulled the cowling off and I found a spark plug that was rolling around. Luckily it was an old plug from his last service.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have noises inside your engine cowling- INVESTIGATE IT and identify the source. Trying to find where one bolt goes based on the stories of 6-8 other people who found something in their cowling is not a productive method of locating the source.

Stratoveres: I would recommend that if you cannot locate a loose item inside your cowling, get the engine in to an Authorized Mercury Dealer to have it CHECKED.

Beyond that: We all need to remember that per the Forum Announcements, ONE engine per thread (only). Realize everyone has been trying to help here, but there does come a point where it becomes counter-productive.