Optimax running cold

I have a 2001 Optimax 225 3L DFI engine. I noticed it was running cold this past winter. Sometimes it would stay under 100 degrees. So I replaced both thermostats with the 130 ones, and I replaced the poppet valve. One of the thermostats was actually broken. It made a slight difference but now it never gets over 113. I can live with 113, but I'm wondering why it isn't running closer to 130. We have had some 90 degree days here and it still never gets above 113. I have the smart craft gauge on here so that is what is giving me the reading. Is it possible the gauge is malfunctioning? It does show higher readings when I first start up to run to a different spot, but then it quickly drops to 113 and stays there. When I first start it up in the morning its well below 100 and then it rises to 113. But it is always at 113 when I am running no matter how long the run is.

2. Member
    On plane temperatures do not matter unless you are overheating. Within 5 minutes of starting your motor, at idle, do you reach 120? That is the only important question as far as the stats are concerned.

3. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Please respond to Post# 2 for further assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    It warms up to 113 and stays there. When I run it varies between 111 and 114.

6. Member
    Where are you getting your readings from? You should see well below 100 degrees when running.

I had this problem and replaced my thermostats and it's been working great since. I always let my engine cycle to 135 and back down to 120 before going wot.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

7. Member
    Click on this thread >>>>>Temperature of engine still not right