Thread: Nubanusit

Nubanusit

Any of you guys fish this place ?
    My Dad used to take me ice fishing there for lake trout all the time when I was a kid.
    I've only been fishing there in a boat twice now.
    I spent the day there yesterday. Water temp was 73-75.
    We caught a bunch of small mouth but they were all little ones.
    The biggest was about 2 pounds.
    The place looks like it would have some giants in it but we couldn't find any. Anyone have any experience fishing this place ? Just wondering how the fishing normally is to see if I want to try it again.
    Also any of you ever make it into spoonwood ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

2. Member
    I spent countless hours as a kid starring at 2 tip ups hoping they would fly as well at Nubi.... So I have fished it a few times for smallies with my dad in his boat. Always caught fish but never anything big. It would seem like there should be good fish in there, but 3lbs is the biggest I have ever caught. I talked to a guy on the ice last year who said the smelt population had really exploded over the last few years so maybe more forage will help make for some bigger fish. I dont know but either way the launch sucks for a nice boat and I would rather go to newfound imo.
    On another note my buddy does fish spoonwood fairly often and catches really nice smallies up there. Always a pain to get up in there but it is a neat little place.

3. Member
    There's another place up the road from there that you would think would hold giant smallies, but I've been struggling to break 3 lbs there as well. Think both lakes need more than smelt for them to grow better.

4. Member
    603 you are absolutely correct. They do need more forage. Problem with many lakes in the state are they may be very deep but lack the nutrients needed to bolster a big healthy population. So long story short when I was young and good looking I did an internship with F+G one summer and I found old records from forever ago where many of the lakes like we are talking about they used to float barges of cow crap out into the lake and dump them to add nutrients into the lake to increase productivity.......

Thanks guys ..I really wanted to go because of all the time I spent there with my dad as a kid.
    Wow never knew about the manure,.interesting.
    I did see a few giant clouds of bait suspended in deeper water. Now I'm thinking they were smelt.
    I think I'll have to give it at least one more shot.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

6. Member
    I've mostly trolled it, looking for a giant trout (one hookup, 30 years ago... does that count as a win?). I did get into a big school of 2# smallies back in the day, up near the reef - you could look down and see a dozen bass at any given moment. Had some epic topwater action that day. I've been itching to go back too, please keep us posted. No smallies in Spoonwood back then, just bigass brookies.