Questions about 920PHX

Looking to maybe get out of my triton 20xs as its just too unstable up on the bow with 2 guys fishing
    looking at the PHX’s
    I fish both big and small water alike
    i do a lot of spring smallmouth fishing up northern michigan on big water
    but i do a lot of shallow Flippin too-places that are hard to get into
    the triton is good for both but the deck is so daggone rocky if you’re not paying attention you’ll fall out (I’m a little clumsy)
    questions:
    -are they stable with 2 guys?
    -i noticed the higher gunnels-is it still easy to flip on the front deck? (I’m a taller guy)
    -can you get shallow with them? (75% I’m shallow)
    -are they quick outta the hole?
    -what shaft length TM do you recommend with it?
    -hows the ride in rough water
    -how fast are they (not that important but curious)
    -are they easier to drive than Triton?
    -hows the battery compartment as far as space/access to pumps and stuff?

Gimme the good, bad, and Ugly
    no Rah Rah Phoenix- i want the unbiased opinions

thanks a lot guys

2. Member
    I have a 2019 20PHX and absolutely love it.
    To answer your questions: (my opinion only)
    Stable with 2 guys up front -- absolutely.
    Higher gunnels -- I am 6' tall and have no problems flipping from the front deck.
    shallow -- shallow could be a relative term. But yes, float 2-3 feet easy
    quick out of the hole - by myself , empty livewells yes. With my fishing partner, tournament loaded and full livewells not really. Although, it could be my jackplate setting and how my boat is loaded. Everyone will be different(imo)
    TM shaft length - I have a 52" Ultrex on mine. If you are mainly a shallow water guy go with the shorter shaft length
    Rough Water-- Impressive - best rough water ride I have ever been in.
    Fast - again could be relative. 72-74 mph tournament loaded with partner
    Easier to drive than Triton - without a doubt
    Battery compartment -- space is great. access to pumps, you have to remove a battery to get the access panel off. Not impossible but it does free up plenty of space in the back.20190126_161039_resized.jpg

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpGumpy View Post
    Looking to maybe get out of my triton 20xs as its just too unstable up on the bow with 2 guys fishing
    looking at the PHX’s
    I fish both big and small water alike
    i do a lot of spring smallmouth fishing up northern michigan on big water
    but i do a lot of shallow Flippin too-places that are hard to get into
    the triton is good for both but the deck is so daggone rocky if you’re not paying attention you’ll fall out (I’m a little clumsy)
    questions:
    -are they stable with 2 guys? I feel they are very stable. They do sit very deep in the water up front. My trolling motor is up too high to stow it if both me and my partner are on the front deck. This also leads into fishing shallow, see below.
    -i noticed the higher gunnels-is it still easy to flip on the front deck? (I’m a taller guy) - I have no issues with flipping, although i do not do a lot of it.
    -can you get shallow with them? (75% I’m shallow) - I fish the Mississippi River in La Crosse, Wi area and we are in 1-2 feet of water consistantly. I do feel like the keel drags more on this boat than others i have had but has never stopped me from getting into somewhere I wanted to get. I run all lithium with dual poles.
    -are they quick outta the hole? Mine is a rocket out of the hole. If my through hull ducer reads 1.3' or more, i can get on pad.
    -what shaft length TM do you recommend with it? See #1. Shorter the better or it will really be in the way when flipping
    -hows the ride in rough water - EXCELLENT!
    -how fast are they (not that important but curious) - I fished a tournament last weekend and passed 2 cats and a skeeter on the way to our starting spot. I was fully loaded with empty wells running 76 +/- .5 mph. livewells full it slows to around 74
    -are they easier to drive than Triton? Way easier if you put a 12" plate on it. with a 10" they still get a bit squirrely.
    -hows the battery compartment as far as space/access to pumps and stuff? I run 2 (36v) Lithium Pros and a 12v Ionic so I have room for a person in mine. if you get a four stroke, you will have plenty of room without the oil resevoir in the back.

Gimme the good, bad, and Ugly
    no Rah Rah Phoenix- i want the unbiased opinions

thanks a lot guys

4. Member
    I had a 2011 triton 20XS. I really liked that boat. I fish several smaller idle only lakes here in Illinois , and I also took it up to Green Bay each spring. Last year I traded for a 2018 21PHX. IT IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! Exceptional rough water ride. Very stable when fishing. Tons of storage. The fit and finish on the Phoenix is just ok.
    The only 2 other boats I would consider to trade in my 21phx now are. The caymas and vexus 21s.
    and if you are going to fish Green Bay, get the 52inch ultrex for sure.

good luck!

5. Member
    The 21PHX I have is like a battleship. Great rough water ride, easy to fish to up front, easy flipping. Blows away the Triton TR-20 I once owned. Went through 3 Ranger Z520C's & took a ride in a 19ft Phoenix. I was sold immediately. The Phoenix ride is the best of any boat!
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost