Thread: Smelly rainsuit

Smelly rainsuit

Cabelas gore Tex rain suit starting to smell fishy
    i bought some goretex washer detergent but I don’t even know how to turn the washing machine on and I’ve heard you want to limit the amount of times you wash goretex

i put my suit in a Rubbermaid tub with some baking soda in the bottom-we’ll see if that works
    anybody have any other suggestions?

2. Member
    Hand washing may help. I have the same bibs and the same problem. I’ve had them for 6 years and only machine washed once with Nikki wax or whatever that stuff is

3. Member
    I've had the same Bass Pro Pro Qualifier gore tex suit for close to 10 years. I have washed it several times in the washer and have always used the regular detergent my wife uses on our clothes. Never had a problem and it is still just as waterproof as it was when I bought it.

My washer has a "waterproof" setting I've used to wash my waterproof breathable stuff. Then dry on low heat. Believe it or not, the performance will probably actually improve after this. The washing process (specifically the dryer, I think), renews the DWR coating that causes water to bead up again which reduces the clammy feeling you get of being wet, even when you're not actually wet. I was really surprised to read that in the care instructions as I figured drying it in the dryer would be the last thing you'd want to do.

I do think I read that you want to avoid powder detergents and anything with fabric softener. Something about getting the pores clogged up.

Of course, I've since gone to Columbia OutDry stuff, so no more worries about that membrane on the inside nonsense!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Hang it up outside in the sun for a few days.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

I have washed mine but not used the dryer to dry. I also put a couple dryer sheets in the bag while it's in the boat. Good Luck

7. Member
    Sunshine.

8. Member
    I've washed mine in a machine. Never used the dryer. I hang them up in the sun.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

use nikiwax Tech wash only (no other products for cleaning) and rinse with the with Direct wash in to rejuvenate the outer layer. This will keep them in like new condition and the layer will not soak up water which makes them get quite heavy
    Thank You Leon Pugh