Helix 12 2D Shoot Through Hull

Does this look normal for a shoot through the hull transducer on a Helix 12' CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N? When compared to the 10" using the Minn Kota US2 on the trolling motor, the red bad on the 10" is much darker with a deeper band. Below are pictures I took of each. They were not taken in the same exact spot but close, but you can see the difference between the bottom signal. This is a new 2019 boat and I did have the Helix 12" on for an hour (not knowing better) or so trying to learn the features, hopefully I didn't damage the 2D transducer, Humminbird said it probably didn't damage the transducer for that period of time being on out of the water. To get anywhere close to the same look, the sensitivity needs to be turned almost full level.

Your thoughts?

Helix 12 2D.jpgHelix 10 2D.jpg
    Last edited by RGK456; 06-29-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Adding another picture

A PROPERLY installed shoot-thru installation has very little signal loss, but still some loss.

Pre-testing the transducer BEFORE attaching it to the hull should be included.

Post #2 here-----http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=172972
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks, it was installed by Ranger at the factory I believe but not 100% sure. It was installed when I purchased the boat, so not sure if Ranger installed the transducer or if the dealer did.

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Thanks, it was installed by Ranger at the factory I believe but not 100% sure. It was installed when I purchased the boat, so not sure if Ranger installed the transducer or if the dealer did.
    You can assume that the transducer was not pre-tested and the location for it was not tested on the water either. So it is a crapshoot whether it will work properly or not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You can assume that the transducer was not pre-tested and the location for it was not tested on the water either. So it is a crapshoot whether it will work properly or not.
    Can you tell me how you think it looks by the pictures I attached? I looked yesterday and looks like the transducer is mounted right below the bilge and live well pumps, would be extremely hard to get to without removing the pumps, so my guess Ranger installed at the factory. I am a newbie to much of this, my last boat was during the paper graph years :-).

6. Member
    RGK, mine started doing the same thing. My units and transducer are 3 years old, and I'm getting a much weaker signal/display now. Not sure if it's the installation, may have gone bad, or maybe the transducer went bad. Either way, this upcoming off season I plan on installing a new one.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Wayne, any chance I damaged the transducer by having the finder on for an hour or so in my garage?

8. Member
    Unless you were using a transducer that transmits an higher amount of power and heat like some of the AIRMAR transducers, probably didn't affect it for that amount of time. The transmissions, over a longer period of time, can tend to weaken the crystals. Under normal conditions, it probably takes several years (2-3) to notice any significant changes. When these two images were taken, were all settings (both units) the same? Have you ever compared with both units at factory defaults?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Unless you were using a transducer that transmits an higher amount of power and heat like some of the AIRMAR transducers, probably didn't affect it for that amount of time. The transmissions, over a longer period of time, can tend to weaken the crystals. Under normal conditions, it probably takes several years (2-3) to notice any significant changes. When these two images were taken, were all settings (both units) the same? Have you ever compared with both units at factory defaults?
    I have reset to factory default and no the sensitivity setting of the 12” was at 15 vs 10.

The 10” with US2 is much better with both set at factory default.
    Last edited by RGK456; 06-30-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Adds more info

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    I have reset to factory default and no the sensitivity setting of the 12” was at 15 vs 10.

The 10” with US2 is much better with both set at factory default.
    Possibilities:

Weak shoot-thru transducer.
    Poor shoot-thru installation.
    Where the transducer was bonded to the hull is not suitable for shoot-thru.
    Faulty Y cable.

Disconnect the Y cable from the unit.
    Disconnect both transducers from the Y cable.
    Connect the SI transducer directly to the unit---check its performance.
    Connect the shoot-thru directly to the unit---check its performance.

That will let you know where the issue is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL