BBC SPONSOR

Thumbs Up 250 v8 pro xs propping question. <2b687558>

My worked 25 tempest plus threw a blade saturday so I'm in the market for a new prop. The 25 done really well on my boat but the most RPM's I could get was 5900 to 6000. Just wondering if a 24 would gain me any top end? If not I will go back with a 25 because the acceleration and hole shot was unreal. Top end was pretty good as well, but seeing how I'm in the market for a new prop I'm asking for opinions. It's on a 2020 Caymas cx 20.
    Last edited by Buck456; 06-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.

i dont think you will see any gains, considering u were already seeing 6000...
    possibly better acceleration, but not actual top end speed gain
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I was wondering that, bc on my old Triton one lower prop pitch increased acceleration, and got my rpms where they needed to be but was 1 mph or 2 slower.

i would suggest the 3 blade fury...
    it will be 2-3 mph faster than the tempest in my experience...
    however a bravo xs is still my overall favorite prop...
    acceleration 4 out of 5
    top end 4 out of 5
    Handling is 5 out of 5

a 27 bravo xs will be similiar in pitch to the 25 tempest...you wont regret it

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't think the 27 Bravo XS is a good choice here- normally we're going to use the FS version (same prop, less ventilation holes as they aren't nearly as critical in 4-strokes).

If you're in the 5900-6000 range on a SMARTCRAFT instrument, I'd be trying a 24P Fury (3), or a 25P Bravo-1 FS. You can also talk with the folks at Caymas as they've surely done a lot of testing with different props.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I don't think the 27 Bravo XS is a good choice here- normally we're going to use the FS version (same prop, less ventilation holes as they aren't nearly as critical in 4-strokes).

If you're in the 5900-6000 range on a SMARTCRAFT instrument, I'd be trying a 24P Fury (3), or a 25P Bravo-1 FS. You can also talk with the folks at Caymas as they've surely done a lot of testing with different props.
    Yes sir. that was on a smart craft instrument. I did talk to Caymas today and they are working with me to get my hands on a 24 fury 3.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by sblnchrd View Post
    cruiser i agree with u these 4 strokes need to be vented just as much as the 2 stroke in fact i believe the 2 stroke is stronger down low than these new 4 strokes i just sold a2012 nitro z8 250 pro xs went to a z21 300 pro xs turning the same 27 pitch bravo 1 xs the 300 needed more venting and still not as strong as the 250 pro xs not a apple to apple comparison but i want to know where all this torque is supposed to be from the v8 i am a lil disappointed in the new v8
    I'm not the least bit disappointed with the torque on the v8. The 25 tempest plus was crazy quick and had good top end. With that prop it was the quickest boat to 60 I've ever owned. My last boat had a 250 pro xs 2 stroke. Ran the same prop on a very similar boat, and never had the top end or speed that my current boat has. The boat maybe some of the difference, but I've never seen where torque of my v8 was in any question.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    no Disrespect meant here, but i have personally spent hours dialing in my boat with props...
    they can say what they want about the 4S not needing ventilation, and thats not accurate...
    dont get me wrong TOO much vent causes for slower holeshot as it wants to cavitate, HOWEVER, with my 29 bravo xs (8PVS hole system) the best holeshot was with 6 holes WIDE OPEN, and 2 holes plugged closed on opposite sides in the 2nd row of holes...if i plugged ANY more holes closed, the MOTOR would BOG...

i did a repower from the Optimax pro xs 2 stroke to the 4 stroke pro xs, using the SAME boat and SAME prop, for my testing...

Adam- I certainly understand that you've dialed in YOUR boat, and indeed, some setups (ESPECIALLY those spinning props on the north end of 25P) benefit from or require considerable ventilation.

And the fact that you ran both engines with the same prop shows that one engine, or the other, wasn't set up for peak performance.

That being said- boats running 23P props may benefit from a little... and in some cases, require NO ventilation (PVS).

Most importantly: Your boat is considerably different from the one the OP (Original Poster) has posted about. General information or advice based on HIS boat's performance, and the RPM's that HE is achieving with a specific prop is what he needs.

Interjecting confusing information from your own rig (even though that information is real shiny and cool) is much like throwing handfuls of Glitter into the water you're trying to see through. Even though it's shiny and such... it still muddles the waters.

Anyway... going to clean up the thread and remove the non-pertinent info. Let's do our best to keep things on track.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Understood!