Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Thumbs Up Anyone ran a 24 tempest plus on a cx20 yet?

My worked 25 tempest plus threw a blade saturday so I'm in the market for a new prop. The 25 done really well on my boat but the most RPM's I could get was 5900 to 6000. Just wondering if a 24 would gain me any top end? I'm running a 250 pro xs 4 stroke.

2. Member
    My dealer is a ghost. i still haven't tried a 24 tempest prop yet. Caymas plant switched out my 25 fury to a 24 fury. 24 Fury helped me wind up out of hole a little better, and better boat control over all, but nothing has helped hole shot and front end coming up high, except adding an extra battery up in front compartment.Top end between the two props is about 2 or 3 miles an hour difference. Your the second person Buck456 thats had a prop throw a blade on a caymas boat.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    My dealer is a ghost. i still haven't tried a 24 tempest prop yet. Caymas plant switched out my 25 fury to a 24 fury. 24 Fury helped me wind up out of hole a little better, and better boat control over all, but nothing has helped hole shot and front end coming up high, except adding an extra battery up in front compartment.Top end between the two props is about 2 or 3 miles an hour difference. Your the second person Buck456 thats had a prop throw a blade on a caymas boat.
    That's interesting. I was loaded to the hilt Saturday morning. I noticed I was slowly loosing speed a few miles more and it threw it. I put the 25 fury on and it went from a sports car to a mini Van. With the same load I was lucky to get 5600 RPM's with the fury 3 blade. I know my boat is set up a lot different that yours but the 25 tempest plus I was running done a pretty good job at everything. I was lacking 200 to 300 RPM from what I'm told the motor needs to propped at 6200. I'm ready to buy a prop, but dont know if I should go with a 24 or back to a 25 Tempest plus? Just don't want to loose any top end. That is my only fear dropping down to a 24.

4. Member
    True. You might loose a mph maybe 1 or 2, going to a 24. Sounds like yours is running good, except maybe your weight issue with the 25 Tempest. I want mine to handle well. I need mine to wind up fast as possible. The 25fury is a dog on my boat.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    The 25 fury is a dog on my boat as well. My salesperson ran my boat last week with the worked 25 tempest plus and told me it was the quickest boat to 60 he had ever been in. I dont know about that, but do know it would get there in a hurry until the prop broke. Lol

6. Member
    My boat is fast like that also from 0 to 60. Makes ya kinda wonder why Caymas only had 3 types of fury props. Also the furys are stiffer props, over the tempest props. Maybe Caymas knew that.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    The story I got was they tested these in cool weather with a 25 fury.. I do know the weather along with load does make a difference.

8. Member
    I asked the guy that tests caymas boats at plant. He said they only had 23,24,25 furys. He said his job was only to run to check for bad hulls or problems. He didnt check for hole shot or bow lifting, or boat running left or right side. Just for mid range and top end speeds. He also told me hes running 24 and 25 on their smaller 18 and 19 ft boats. He said I coukd make a day out of it to run my boat with him at plant. But only had those 3 props to test. Would be a waste of my time.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I agree it would. I'm going to talk to Mark today and see what he recommends. With me being so light in the stern I may need to go a different route. My boat takes all the trim I gain get. If I bump it down just a little I slow down.

10. Member
    Let me know how it turns out

11. Member
    CAYMAS CX-21 PRO
    I have found that the Mercury Pro XS 250 4S has a lot of torque and does not like props bigger than 24 inches. I could not achieve high RPM’s with my worked by Mark Croxton 25 inch Fury. It ran great on my 2016 Triton TRX with a Mercury 250 HP Pro XS. I had to drop to a 24 Fury and the RPM’s are up but I have not gotten beyond 5900 RPM. I will be going to a 24 inch Tempest Plus in the very near future and if that doesn’t work I think a 23 inch prop might be the answer to achieve the desired RPM’s.
    CAYMAS1

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAYMAS1 View Post
    CAYMAS CX-21 PRO
    I have found that the Mercury Pro XS 250 4S has a lot of torque and does not like props bigger than 24 inches. I could not achieve high RPM’s with my worked by Mark Croxton 25 inch Fury. It ran great on my 2016 Triton TRX with a Mercury 250 HP Pro XS. I had to drop to a 24 Fury and the RPM’s are up but I have not gotten beyond 5900 RPM. I will be going to a 24 inch Tempest Plus in the very near future and if that doesn’t work I think a 23 inch prop might be the answer to achieve the desired RPM’s.
    Different hulls but similar weights, the Z521 Mer 4 stroke really likes the 23 Fury

This summer heat will knock them in the head, best to have one working in the summer and one for the winter cooler months on any brand.

13. Member
    My cx 21 is at the dealer right now and they have an in-house prop guy and we are testing different options, we are adding trim extensions tomorrow and adding a little cup to the 24 fury to try and get more bow lift, when I did the first couple hours of break in I had the boat to 74mph but now that it’s broke in I lost speed once I loaded it down, dealer had it to 72.5 the other day with two people and full load, but we are only at 5900 rpm , the new prop mods with trim extension will go on tomorrow and I’ll report back, if all goes well I think it will be where it’s supposed to be. I’ll report back tomorrow

14. BBC SPONSOR
    After a long discussion with my prop guy he is working a 25 tempest plus for me. He said he will take some pitch out of it and it will give me better over all performance.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    My cx 21 is at the dealer right now and they have an in-house prop guy and we are testing different options, we are adding trim extensions tomorrow and adding a little cup to the 24 fury to try and get more bow lift, when I did the first couple hours of break in I had the boat to 74mph but now that it’s broke in I lost speed once I loaded it down, dealer had it to 72.5 the other day with two people and full load, but we are only at 5900 rpm , the new prop mods with trim extension will go on tomorrow and I’ll report back, if all goes well I think it will be where it’s supposed to be. I’ll report back tomorrow
    Drop back to a 23 Fury and i bet your performance problem with a load will be solved

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Drop back to a 23 Fury and i bet your performance problem with a load will be solved
    The 24 that the prop guy worked did really well I’m running 74 by myself but I’m having a trim problem with the motor not lifting to full trim that is what the dealer discovered, Mercury is sending out nw trim to get the problem resolved

17. Banned
    Every boat will run a little different but it took some of my own testing to really find out how to make the CX20 and CX21 to get up on the rail.
    Light load half fuel livewells full 26P Fury Open Vents 81mph at 5900rpms Jack-Plate 4-5 / 25P Shaved not Blue Printed just sharpened blades would help with spinning it up under heavier load.
    CX21 24P Fury running 71mph-73mph pushing 6000rpms Jack-Plate 3-4 with tournament load, added 2 degree wedges and picked up to 75mph at 6200rpms Jack-Plate 1-3, Swapped to 25P Fury Shaved by Croxton 76mph @ 6000rpms Jack-Plate 1-3.

The CX20 may benefit from the wedges also and both boats may benefit with moving motor down 1 hole after the wedges to allow more jack-plate play

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by thefourthwolp View Post
    Every boat will run a little different but it took some of my own testing to really find out how to make the CX20 and CX21 to get up on the rail.
    Light load half fuel livewells full 26P Fury Open Vents 81mph at 5900rpms Jack-Plate 4-5 / 25P Shaved not Blue Printed just sharpened blades would help with spinning it up under heavier load.
    CX21 24P Fury running 71mph-73mph pushing 6000rpms Jack-Plate 3-4 with tournament load, added 2 degree wedges and picked up to 75mph at 6200rpms Jack-Plate 1-3, Swapped to 25P Fury Shaved by Croxton 76mph @ 6000rpms Jack-Plate 1-3.

The CX20 may benefit from the wedges also and both boats may benefit with moving motor down 1 hole after the wedges to allow more jack-plate play
    I purchased 2 degree wedges a few months ago. I'm just waiting on my 20 hr service to have them installed. Like I mentioned in another post I had them drop my motor a hole already. I truly feel we are onto something here.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I purchased 2 degree wedges a few months ago. I'm just waiting on my 20 hr service to have them installed. Like I mentioned in another post I had them drop my motor a hole already. I truly feel we are onto something here.
    Let us know how that performs with the wedges, curious myself.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Let us know how that performs with the wedges, curious myself.
    First post for me here. I just purchased a cx20 pro. I am also interested in hearing how the 2 degree wedges help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast