tomato soft plastic recipie?

Does anyone have a good recipie similar to zoom tomato in the swimmin chunk or super chunk jr. ? I bought tomato colorant from spikeit & it's not close at all. Thanks

2. Member
    Sometimes if you can't find help with colors you'll just have to do it yourself and here's what I discovered .You can go thru a lot of plastisol trying to match worm colors . Since worm colorant is oil based it mixes well with vegetable or baby oil . I set up a shop light and back light the bait (color) I'm trying to match and then I start mixing worm colors in the oil and hold up to the light next to the bait I'm trying to match . Start out light and gradually darken keeping track of how many drops of each color used . Make notes about the effect of the colors you try . If you misjudge colors and you're too dark dump the colored oil on a paper towel throw it in the trash and try again with new oil .This is way faster and cheaper than mixing up worm plastic batches with liquid worm colorant to dial in colors and saves a lot of plastic . Get the clear cooking oils if you can find them otherwise you'll have to compensate for the yellowish color of the oil when you go to plastic . You may have to make some final adjustments with the final product but this will get you closer faster to what you are seeking .

Just looking at the zoom color, Looks like a much brighter red than the tomato. I don’t have a recipe but lurework has a bright cherry red dye 120 that would brighten up that tomato or get you closer to the Zoom color. It’s a dye and a bleed color so it wouldn’t work in a lam and you would have to keep it separated from other colors.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    Sometimes if you can't find help with colors you'll just have to do it yourself and here's what I discovered .You can go thru a lot of plastisol trying to match worm colors . Since worm colorant is oil based it mixes well with vegetable or baby oil . I set up a shop light and back light the bait (color) I'm trying to match and then I start mixing worm colors in the oil and hold up to the light next to the bait I'm trying to match . Start out light and gradually darken keeping track of how many drops of each color used . Make notes about the effect of the colors you try . If you misjudge colors and you're too dark dump the colored oil on a paper towel throw it in the trash and try again with new oil .This is way faster and cheaper than mixing up worm plastic batches with liquid worm colorant to dial in colors and saves a lot of plastic . Get the clear cooking oils if you can find them otherwise you'll have to compensate for the yellowish color of the oil when you go to plastic . You may have to make some final adjustments with the final product but this will get you closer faster to what you are seeking .
    Good idea. Thanks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Just looking at the zoom color, Looks like a much brighter red than the tomato. I don’t have a recipe but lurework has a bright cherry red dye 120 that would brighten up that tomato or get you closer to the Zoom color. It’s a dye and a bleed color so it wouldn’t work in a lam and you would have to keep it separated from other colors.
    apdriver that's exactly what i did was start out with the lureworks cherry red 120 & added just a little white to make it opaque & then added some yellow to brighten it up & it turned out about as close as you can get it laying a zoom & mine side by side. I'd bought some lureworks tomato colorant from spikeit last week to make it easy, but it's not even close & doesn't look at all like it did on my computers screen. These are my bright moonlight, hair jig trailers so i got to have them right for them big old browns.