Thread: Lake Mitchell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dogfish_Jones

Lake Mitchell?

Our club tournament in July is on Mitchell. We are putting in at Barrett’s. Any info as to where and what to fish? I’ve never fished that lake.

2. Member
    Just below the Lay Lake Dam but be very careful navigating once you go under the bridge about 1/4 mile below the dam. Some huge rocks under the surface. Trim way up and go slow as you work your way to the dam. If power is being generated you should catch some on shad colored spinnerbaits and jerk baits. If not generating power try ledges.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Thanks, I am going to try and get down there next week and scout out and graph as much as I can to get a better understanding what is there.

4. Member
    I was there in October 2019 and will likely be there again in October this year.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I am looking forward to fishing this lake. From looking at the depth maps there is plenty of twisting creek beds that come right up to the banks. I have marked a lot of points feeding into either the main lake channel or a major creek.

6. Member
    If you like catching spots you will love Mitchell Lake.

Personally I like catching spots although we have to go up the Alabama River a ways to catch them.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    There's some good spots right there in hachett Creek by Barrett's. The road to Barrett's is horrible though.

8. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstacks7 View Post
    There's some good spots right there in hachett Creek by Barrett's. The road to Barrett's is horrible though.
    I have heard the road was pretty bad.

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    If you like catching spots you will love Mitchell Lake.

Personally I like catching spots although we have to go up the Alabama River a ways to catch them.
    My home lake is Logan Martin....this place is packed with spots. I know I have caught every 1 to 1-1/2 lb spot in this lake not once but twice. I cannot for the life of me catch the big spots on that lake.

10. Member
    I fished out a Barrett two Sundays ago. Just put in a couple hours but spent most of it flipping grass right in hatchet Creek. I caught 10 or so all largemouth for the couple of 1.5 to 2s mixed in.

11. Dogfish_Jones
    Thanks. I do plan on using my jigs a lot there. Points off the main creek channel and the bends of those creeks is where I will start searching.

12. Member
    All mine came from a zhog pegged. Couldn't buy a bite on a jig.

13. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstacks7 View Post
    All mine came from a zhog pegged. Couldn't buy a bite on a jig.
    I will keep that in mind, thanks

14. Dogfish_Jones
    I went today to pre-fish Mitchell....it kicked my butt.
    One thing not in my favor was there was no water being put in or going out. It was dead calm. I fished it from 7 am to 2:30 pm and caught one little spot around 12”. That was my only bit today too. I fish a ton of spots and even went to the Lay Lake dam and NOTHING. With no water moving it was the Dead Sea.
    Plenty of grass but once you leave the grass line it like an underwater cliff going down to over 40’ in the space of 20’ from the grass line. I threw top water, squarebill, deep divers, jigs, shakeyheads, Ned Rig, C-rig, chatterbait, and I’m sure more and nothing!
    Arrrrrrrrgh! I hate having days like today.

15. Member
    DJ. My son and I were the same day. We managed to catch 20. Most caught on a light colored fluke and swimming a black/red glitter paddle tail worm. We caught them in Hatchett Creek around the island and on the main river on steep rock banks. Our biggest was around 3pounds. Good look in your tourney.
    Ben

16. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by 275 pro View Post
    DJ. My son and I were the same day. We managed to catch 20. Most caught on a light colored fluke and swimming a black/red glitter paddle tail worm. We caught them in Hatchett Creek around the island and on the main river on steep rock banks. Our biggest was around 3pounds. Good look in your tourney.
    Ben
    I'll give it a shot this Saturday...again. I am looking to throw a 3/4 oz to 1 oz jig on those ledges. Fish some shakey heads deep, and throw a swimbait but let it get down to where I see the fish at. I'm going with a not to good of an outlook and that in itself might be a good thing since I will not get frustrated. I'm just looking to add points to the clubs AOY award. Mitchell from what I'm hearing is a pretty tough lake to crack. A beautiful lake but I would rather look at at bass at the end of my line.

Oh and damn that road getting into Barrets ramp...good lord it would have been cheaper to just paved the entire road than to try to fix those 10,000 pot holes.

17. Member
    I also flipped a watermelon red baby brush hog in the weeds around the island in Hatchett. Good luck.
    Last edited by 275 pro; 07-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.

18. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by 275 pro View Post
    I also flipped a watermelon red baby brush hog in the weeds around the island in Hatchett. Good luck.
    I have marked those spots you mentioned on my Lake master card. I will head out from the ramp and go to those islands and give it a shot. Thanks for those tips, I’m sure I’ll need every tip available this Saturday.

19. Dogfish_Jones
    I did terrible at our club tournament on Mitchell today. Fact is everyone in our club did terrible. The winning guy only caught 3 fish for a little over 6 lbs. I caught 1 bass weighing in a 2.7 lbs.
    That was my only bite today too. Best thing about fishing Mitchell is loading up your boat and leaving.
    No water was being pulled until 11 am this morning and not enough to stir the bass up to eat. Guy that were there when they released the water said that it didn’t activate the fish at all. From the dam at Lay to about everywhere else it wasn’t too productive.
    Maybe this lake can produce in early spring but summertime......it did not for me. On the Lay Lake next month and hopefully better results. I do fairly well there so I’m hoping to repeat some of my better tournaments there.

20. Member
    I've always done well with shaky heads around main lake docks on Mitchell. Usually good for at least 10-12 lbs.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast