Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FXR leaking front storage

2020 FXR20, Trailered home through rain today( usually always covered but RONA has put a halt on my cover order). Anyway I got home and found 3-4 inches of water in middle front tackle storage and 2-3 inches in both rod lockers. Water was high enough to get into tackle storage boxes. All lockers were closed and latched. Also rear bilge area was full and bilge did not kick on until I turned them on manually. Anyone with a newer FXR had this issue? Just asking before it goes back to dealer.
    Doug Bronnenberg
    2013 Phoenix 618 Pro
    Firefighter

2. Member
    Water in the bilge may have cause the locker issues. I'm not sure on the design of the new FXR, but usually if there is an abundant amount of water in the bilge (when hitting your brakes) the water moves forward to the bow and into the lockers. Big possibility thats what happened.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    It should not do that. Take it to the dealer. Most likely the seal and/or screws for the aluminum deck grid are not working. The lockers are designed to be dry even in torrential down pours. Have owned two Skeeters and both were dry even after spearing waves.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Try pulling the plug before you tow in the rain.

5. Member
    I was going to ask the same thing about the plug.

6. Member
    Mine is doing the same thing. Drove home in the rain the other day and when I got home both rod lockers had about 3 inches of water in them. Man I dont want to drive 3 hours to my dealer then be without my boat for who knows how long.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky6153 View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. Drove home in the rain the other day and when I got home both rod lockers had about 3 inches of water in them. Man I dont want to drive 3 hours to my dealer then be without my boat for who knows how long.
    Another area to look is under the TM pedal. There is a drain under there. You can pull of the front panel and check if the hose is attached.
    Get out the garden hose and fill up the TM tray. Then flood the front deck in front of the lockers. You will be checking the seal of the aluminum deck grid to the top cap and the screws that hold it down. If the front seal is bad it will leak into the lockers.
    While you are at it put your bilge plug in and fill the bilge with water to check the automatic switch for the bilge pump.
    You will not have the same issue with the rear boxes because they seal directly to the aluminum deck grid - there isn't a seam over the boxes where the top cap and grid meets like in the front.
    The dry storage areas should be DRY. I have been in the worst torrential rains, speared waves, taken waves over the rear deck and all my boxes are dry.
    If you find the leak discuss it with your dealer on how to get it repaired.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I see they have small drain holes drilled in the corners of these glass boxes -- wonder if too much water in the bilge could back up through those?

9. Member
    Check the latches and make sure they pull the lids down tight.

I had to adjust all of mine so that they actually pull the lid down when closed.

I have a 2020 FXR and I found water in my lockers as well
    Chris Hoffman
    Londonderry, NH

2022 SKEETER FXR20 APEX w/ 250hp SHO
    1x APEX 13 MSI+, 1x Solix 12 chirp MSI+ G3, 1x Solix 15 chirp MSI+ G3. AS GPS HS, Mega 360 Imaging. MK Ultrex MDI w/ iPilot link, MegaLive with Targetlock and 8’ MK
    Raptors and Ionic Lithium Batteries

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸. ·´ ¯`·...><(((º>

11. Member
    I have a FXR and same problems. Skeeter quality control sucks. Dry your boxes, close them, run water on deck with like a shower nozzle, let sit for 30 minutes and check boxes. Skeeter has problems with front deck seal. I spent a few nights fixing instead of driving two hours to dealer. Also, all my latches leaked, ended up spending over $500.00 for Gemlux waterproof latches, since my dealer was not to concerned to order me some new latches. Never knew I would pay so much money for a nightmare!

12. Member
    Last year when I was boat shopping, I really liked the Skeeter but couldn't get passed that aluminum deck system. Is there an advantage to it? All I could see was more leak paths to worry about. If it wasn't for that I would have bought the Skeeter, and may still buy one some day if I can be convinced the compartments won't get wet.
    Brad
    1993 Stratos 254/70 Evinrude
    2018 Triton 20 TRX Patriot/250 Mercury ProXS
    2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch

13. Member
    my fathers is doing the same. known issue, they are fixing it for him.

14. Member
    I have a 2019 ZX225 and get water in my starboard side front locker , Tighten the screws and sealed them again and still water but not coming from the screws , always something.

15. Member
    Just a guess, but I did see this on a brand new zx on the lot. Skeeter doesnt seal the decks to the boat when they sit them down. The one I saw was on the back deck but the whole deck was leaking around every edge because it wasn't sealed. That could be the issue. Hope that makes sense

16. Member
    Hell, they've only been making bass boats for 50 years. You'd think they wouldn't be turning out a boat with issues like that.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Just a guess, but I did see this on a brand new zx on the lot. Skeeter doesnt seal the decks to the boat when they sit them down. The one I saw was on the back deck but the whole deck was leaking around every edge because it wasn't sealed. That could be the issue. Hope that makes sense
    No, it doesn't make sense. The deck grid is aluminum and is supported by jacks in the middle and fiberglass lip on outside. The only place water can enter would be around the base of rain lips or screw holes not being completely sealed with silicone. The rain lips come spot welded from the bottom of the grid and then they are siliconed all the way around. These are the only places water can enter boxes. The drain from the trolling motor recessed pedal is directed to bilge.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmaniac52 View Post
    No, it doesn't make sense. The deck grid is aluminum and is supported by jacks in the middle and fiberglass lip on outside. The only place water can enter would be around the base of rain lips or screw holes not being completely sealed with silicone. The rain lips come spot welded from the bottom of the grid and then they are siliconed all the way around. These are the only places water can enter boxes. The drain from the trolling motor recessed pedal is directed to bilge.
    That may be how the fxr is. The zx you could tell had leaked where the aluminum deck meets the fiberglass. Wait, are you talking about the lip around the edge of the box under the lid? If so, I'm talking about the edge of the whole deck. Water could be running thru where the fiberglass meets the aluminum

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    That may be how the fxr is. The zx you could tell had leaked where the aluminum deck meets the fiberglass. Wait, are you talking about the lip around the edge of the box under the lid? If so, I'm talking about the edge of the whole deck. Water could be running thru where the fiberglass meets the aluminum
    My front deck leaks from the edge of the deck, where the gunwale meats the deck, not around the lips or screws. 18 Zx 225, dealer has no fix.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    My front deck leaks from the edge of the deck, where the gunwale meats the deck, not around the lips or screws. 18 Zx 225, dealer has no fix.
    That's what I was meaning. Where the deck meets the gunwale. The water is just going in there and into the boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast