Been Beating Them Up...

I know it’s stupid but I’ve been busting bluegills in the 8-9” range on little pieces of nightcrawlers in 6-7’. Seriously, basic worm and bobber stuff. Got several good ones one day with the 3 wt fly pole up shallow but then then they snuck down deeper. It’s been fun and tonight we had bluegill sandwiches for dinner. Love the little guys!

2. Member
    Then count me in as a full-fledged member of the stupid club as I'm just like you. Love the fight and taste of those buggers.

3. Moderator
    I’ve been wearing them out on the 4wt fly rod. Never had so much fun fishing especially in ponds. Caught several bull’s this year.

4. Member
    I've been on the look out for a lighter FR, like wading and catching bluegill in streams. Threw a worm out at the lake a couple of weeks ago and caught three that made a mess of fish tacos for 2. Still got the heads in the freezer for catfish bait one of these nights.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

5. Member
    Always do well using light ball head jigs and soft plastics, 8 lb test braid and a light action rod. A large sunfish is amazing how much it bends the rod when fighting.

In the boat when vertical fishing I use a 1/32 ball head jig with a small piece of nightcrawler. They don’t swallow it as deep like they do with a regular hook. I catch a couple while crappie fishing on plastics, but not many. If the crappie fishing slows, I’ll switch to live bait.

If they are shallow and aggressive I whip out the 3wt fly pole with a foam spider. Normally the only ones less than 4’ are dinks around here. I remember having a ball with small poppers up in NY and getting nice fish. Here it just becomes casting practice.

Not stupid at all, in fact i have also been doing some panfishing more this year Crappie that is and have really enjoyed it.