Thread: Shakey head

Shakey head

What's everyone's favorite shakey head jig? Is tungsten worth it vs lead?

2. Member
    I like the owner heads. Good screw lock, strong hook.
    I can see the appeal of tungsten heads but using fluorocarbon and an NRX 852C I can feel what I need to.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Spot remover with screw lock not the peg

I've mentioned this before on this board...I don't throw them a whole lot, but when I do, I *have* to use the style where you have a keeper on the shank of the hook similar to a straight shank hook vs. the screw-lock style. Yes, they foul up more and your baits don't last as long, but the way they make your bait stand up on the jighead and, way more importantly, the dramatic increase in hookup percentage is worth it to me. Right or wrong, I've missed/lost a lot of fish on screwlock styles and after spending a lot of time thinking about it, I think the screwlock presents a couple different problems. The screwlock eats up part of your hook gap/bite which may or may not be a big deal (in my mind it certainly can't help) The bigger deal to me is that it makes the angle of the hook point through the bait much more in line with the plastic; I think that makes the hook more likely to drive into the bait than into the fish's mouth when you set the hook. With the keeper on the hook, it puts the hook point more perpendicular to the bait. The same thing that makes them more prone to fouling up makes the hook point go through and out of the bait and into the fish's mouth much easier in my opinion.

As I said above, I'm not sure if my thinking is right or wrong, but I'm convinced at this point and can't stand to throw something with a screwlock as a result. Past that, I don't have a lot of preference as long as they have a good hook.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Frenzy nail head is pretty much only one i use. To hard to rig a screw lock with Elastec worms.

6. Member
    I like the Missile Warlock heads for small finesse worms. The hook is too small for fatter worms. I like the spot remover magnums for those.

7. Member
    I've used spot removers with the screw lock forever but recently I started using the real deal tungsten heads. They come through grass, wood, and rock way better than the spots

I personally never had an issue with the Strike King brand of shakey heads. I just watched latimer's video on Bassmasters and he's using a mushroom style head for his.

Having used a bunch of brands, the only one I didn't like was the Jewell Baits Kreit Squirrelhead. Never pinned a fish with one; I think the hook is too flexible.

The VMC works, the Owner works, and the Dirty Jigs "Scott Canterbury" works. All have the pigtail-style bait keeper. I like them all, but the Owner has the best pigtail gizmo by far. They have a football head they call a Shakeyhead, but also a round-ish head that they don't. The football works better on rocky lakes and the round-ish on weedy lakes. The Canterbury seems to work fine on either, but the pigtail thing isn't as awesome....Gamakatsu hook, so that's fine. Right now, with Covid 19 tackle supply problems, I'd be happy with any of the three that I could get (I have plenty of them all, so don't be concerned!).

Shakyhead easily has been my most productive fishing technique for the last 3+ years. Mostly have been using a 5" Zoom lizard, but also craws and lately the V&M Swamp Hog Jr. We mostly fish for SM, but sometimes LM get in the way!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    VMC Rugby head. Forget the screw locks and bait keepers! You can T-rig your worm straight on to it

11. Member
    Crock-o-Gator works best by far to me with Owner second
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    Crock-o-Gator works best by far to me with Owner second
    I looked for them on TW. While they had some COG products listed, the Shaky head wasn't one of them. So, I went looking for the COG website, and found it. I could not find what brand the hooks are. Do you happen to know what they use, Greg88?

13. Member
    Omega custom tackle makes a great jig head. Ive tried the spot removers and wasnt that impressed by them. Omega uses a wide gap Gammy and a screw lock.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post
    Spot remover with screw lock not the peg
    ^
    This. Works quite well for me.

I also use some Big Bites with the screw lock head also.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Banned
    Dirty jigs

16. Member
    owner shakey football

Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    Dirty jigs
    I have not tried ALL the Dirty Jigs Shakyheads, but the Scott Canterbury is from Dirty Jigs, and I like it a lot. Seems good for either weeds or rocks. The hooks are Gamakatsu on all the Dirty Jig products I've read the details on. I still like the Owner bait holder better. The wire hook type bait holders (like the Jewell) work well also, but the hook didn't perform....whatever it is. Spend some $ and start with good hooks!