Question 2008 HPDI 225hp won’t fire

My buddy has a 2008 HPDI 225hp. His last time out it was running perfect. As he was idling across the lake it without warning just died. No alarms or anything. Now it will not start. It winds but will not fire. He said it acts like it does when the kill switch is pulled, but that isn’t the case. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on where to start? Thanks

2. Member
    The basic troubleshooting starting place for me is checking the following:

Is it getting compression?
    With a sudden change from running to not running I would check this first
    Is it getting spark?
    Electrical issues can come about suddenly (bad coil packs, wires, boots, or plugs)
    Is it getting fuel?
    On HPDI's fuel issues seem to be pretty common. Filters usually show as a slowly developing problem, but the VST pump and high pressure pump could be the culprits. A pinched line or clogged vent in the tank could also do this, and these are the easiest to check for. Do you hear the electric pump run when you turn the key over? If not, it's that pump, if so then you will need to check the pressure at the schrader valve on the VST. It should pump to 50psi and hold above like 45 for a few minutes. If it does then move further down and it will take either Yamaha Diagnostic Software (purchased on Ebay), or hooking your ECU to a NMEA 2000 backbone and getting high pressure fuel reading on a Lowrance.