2001 ChampioN 196 Elite Fuel Gauge Not Working

Hey y'all! The fuel gauge on my boat doesn't work. Hasn't worked since way before I bought it. I fear the issue is the sending unit in the gas tank. Can I get to that unit without removing the top cap? If not, is there a way to keep up with how much fuel I have left w/o that gauge? Anyone run a boat without a gas gauge and have a system? I ran out of gas 6 miles from the ramp in a tourney yesterday.
    Chase Parks

2001 ChampioN 196 DCX Elite
    2001 200 Yamaha VMax 3.1L
    80 lb Minn Kota Fortrex

2. Member
    May be able to get out from the black plastic cover behind middle seat, if not take the cover below and behind the seats off, which requires removing all 3 seats.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    You can test the gauge and the sender from under the console. Here are the links to the procedures. On the back of the gauge, the S terminal has a pink wire. You can disconnect it and check between it and the ground wire for the called for resistance at different tank levels. The main thing is, you need to check your gauge before tearing the seats and cover out. That's a PITA.

https://www.v3electronicsusa.com/wp-...evel-Gauge.pdf
    https://www.v3electronicsusa.com/wp-...uel-Sender.pdf

4. Member
    Thanks! I was gonna check the gauge first anyways. Good to know I can check the sender from there.
    Chase Parks

2001 ChampioN 196 DCX Elite
    2001 200 Yamaha VMax 3.1L
    80 lb Minn Kota Fortrex

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Only hitch is if the sending unit fails, it could be the wiring.

6. Member
    I’ve replaced the gauge and the sending unit on my 2000 191 and the gauge still will not drop under 1/2 tank. Next I will replace the wiring. Blah

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan805 View Post
    I’ve replaced the gauge and the sending unit on my 2000 191 and the gauge still will not drop under 1/2 tank. Next I will replace the wiring. Blah
    If that one wasn't the gauge, sounds like the sending unit. Wiring is apparently getting the signal to the gauge.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    If that one wasn't the gauge, sounds like the sending unit. Wiring is apparently getting the signal to the gauge.
    I have replaced the gauge AND the sending unit. I have actually replaced the sending unit twice, using 2 different size units. I thought Maybe the original sending unit may have been incorrect, so I also replaced with a different size/ style unit.

9. Member
    My 203 was a pain to get to the sending unit so I cut a hole and installed an access plate right above the unit. People have been walking on it for years now. Just made life a lot easier and the new unit still works great.

10. Member
    Good chance it didn’t work all that well even when it was new. I can’t remember the last boat I had with a properly working fuel gauge if they worked at all! LoL